New Emp Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Picked up a 5 inch or so Emperor Angel from the LFS yesterday, beautiful specimen..between his pattern stages. Seems alert and healthy, ate good at the store while i had him on hold...that was brime shrimp though. I tried feeding him a cube of Angel Formula earlier...but he didnt want anything to do with it, my hippo tang devoured it anyways. Should I give him a few days to settle? try feeding him some brime? Really want to get him on a sponge diet asap...

What size tank? They need a big one, this fish gets HUGE. 8O
180 gallon minimum IMO.
As for food the brine is not a good choice at all. A lot of empty calories and it will slowly starve her.
For my P Maculosus I use a few different foods, big Angels need a variety of foods that includes sponges in their diet.
Her favorite is the Angel food Formula my Ocean Nutrition. Its has everything an angel need including the sponges and is loaded with [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym].
I also feed here Marine Crusine and Emerald Entree made by San fransisco Brand. She also enjoys shrimp sinking pellets and nori on a clip.
Give her a few days to get used to her surrounding, try some high quality food and stay away from the brine for all of your animals. She should come around soon.

Only in a 75 Gallon atm, going to upgrade to around a 200 when the time comes..all of my fish are going to get some size to them. Lion, hippo, chief scorpion, and the angel.

Like i said i wanted to get him eating good quality sponge foods, but he didnt even seem interested in the Angel Formula. Ill give it a few days and see whats up.

Try a couple of the other foods I mentioned, also may want to try some mysis shrimp. Add a little garlic juice, that has been known to stimulate a feeding response.
Don't worry yet, it can take up to a week or more for some fish to start eating.
Keep us posted. :)

Very nice! However, with that livestock list a tank upgrade should be considered in the very near future. Do not sweat the feeding thing. Give it time. Since it was eating brine at the LFS, try mixing it with some other food and soaking in garlic. The goal is to eventually wein it off the brine completely. Just remember to soak the brine in a high quality vit. suppliment like vita-chem and some selcon. This should help ensure the fish gets some nutrition while you are switching foods.

Back
Top Bottom