New filter advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmk6

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 120g tank with a eheim 2128 pro2 for a african cichlid tank and it while rated for 150g is not enough for this tank. i am going to pick up a second filter and a canister makes most since for this tank. The question is do I go with the fuval 406 or a G6 (is it worth the extra money/headache of finding media) or does anyone have another solution.
My nitrates get a bit high (20-30ppm) and I am thinking this will help that as well as just cleaning up the water.

I have a 120g tank with a eheim 2128 pro2 for a african cichlid tank and it while rated for 150g is not enough for this tank. i am going to pick up a second filter and a canister makes most since for this tank. The question is do I go with the fuval 406 or a G6 (is it worth the extra money/headache of finding media) or does anyone have another solution.
My nitrates get a bit high (20-30ppm) and I am thinking this will help that as well as just cleaning up the water.

Your nitrates are what they are because the filter is working. Adding another filter will not change that. filters are nitrate factories. For lower nitrates more frequent filter cleanings and/or more frequent or larger water changes. Adding another cannister to hide/store debris in will not help/change your situation, in terms of nitrate levels.

Your nitrates are what they are because the filter is working. Adding another filter will not change that. filters are nitrate factories. For lower nitrates more frequent filter cleanings and/or more frequent or larger water changes. Adding another cannister to hide/store debris in will not help/change your situation, in terms of nitrate levels.

Yea, what he said. Nitrates are just the end product of the fish food. The fish convert the food to ammonia (uneaten food decomposed into ammonia), the filter converts the ammonia to nitrate (two step process... becomes nitrite first).

So more filters in the same tank just means the speed at which ammonia becomes nitrate is increased. So as long as your existing filter can convert a days production of ammonia to nitrate within 24 hours, there is no need for a second filter.

Back
Top Bottom