New filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incisions072185

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a few questions about filters, I just bought a aqua clear 110 for my 75gal community tank and am looking to purchase either the api filstar canister small or medium as a second filter. How often or at all do I need to change out the media on the aqua clear? And also which size filstar should I buy as a second filter for it, the small or medium?

The Aquaclear 110 should handle the job by itself, but if you are looking for a good canister look into the Eheim 2213 or Eheim 2215, the Fluval 306 or Fluval 406. Eheim and Fluval are the best there is...Bar none. Change the media in the Aquaclear basically when it gets clogged. Stagger changing the sponge and carbon. Do not change both at the same time. Canisters can be cleaned every 2-3 months. I wash the bio media in tank water and discard the pads. Anyway, thats my $0.02.

Yea I figured the one filter would be enough but right now my 75 isn't up and running and my smaller tank is, I was looking for and jump start with the cycle pretty much. My aqua clear won't fit in my current tank Bc it's one of those filter/bio wheel hood combos. So I wanted to get a canister to put in it for now to develop to bb that the new tank needs

Check Amazon. Their Eheims are priced well. Fluvals are good also. Either brand will serve you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if this would be something you would consider, but sponge filters offer great filtration at a fraction of the price and the maintenance on them is easier. I would definitely suggest getting a Hydro 5 filter. They are less than $15 after shipping.

On the AquaClear HOBs I skip the carbon and use the extra space for more biomedia or floss. Been using the same sponge and media for over 2+ years. Every few weeks I squeeze out the sponge in tank water removed from a PWC and give the ceramic media a shake in it.

On the AquaClear HOBs I skip the carbon and use the extra space for more biomedia or floss. Been using the same sponge and media for over 2+ years. Every few weeks I squeeze out the sponge in tank water removed from a PWC and give the ceramic media a shake in it.

Just hooked up my AquaClear 50 on my 20G tonight, still have my other HOB on as well until the AC50 build up some bacteria.
1: How long do you think I should wait to remove my old filter and just have the AC50?
2: what do you mean by floss and ceramic media?

Sorry, not trying to thread jack.

Just hooked up my AquaClear 50 on my 20G tonight, still have my other HOB on as well until the AC50 build up some bacteria.
1: How long do you think I should wait to remove my old filter and just have the AC50?
2: what do you mean by floss and ceramic media?

Sorry, not trying to thread jack.

1. I'd run them in parallel at least a couple of weeks. If it is possible to remove some of the media from the old filter and put it in the new filter that would be great. Kind of hard to do with cartridges if that is the case.
2. AC HOBs come with 3 sections of media: 1 sponge, 1 bag of carbon, and 1 bag of ceramic media. Take out the carbon. You can use it if you ever need to remove meds or odors. In its place you can add more ceramic media (sold separately) or add loose polyfil batting or filter floss.

I just bought the eheim 2213, I'll be running in tandem with my filter/bio wheel hood combo for now till i set up my new tank. Any tips as this is my first canister?

I just bought the eheim 2213, I'll be running in tandem with my filter/bio wheel hood combo for now till i set up my new tank. Any tips as this is my first canister?
do a little planning and position the canister where you want it before you cut the hose. place the hose cut-offs 1-2 inches from the canister inlet and outlet for easy disconnection and cleaning. plan where you want the spray-bar and suction hose. wash all of the debris from the ceramic noodles and the glass beads before inserting into canister. There is a picture on the side of the box showing the order of the bio-media: 1. the ceramic noodles go in first. 2. place the blue sponge on top of the ceramic noodles. 3. place the glass beads on top of the sponge. 4. place the white filter disk on top of beads. 5. place the carbon disk on top. give the canister 2-3 weeks to develop beneficial bacteria. Enjoy your Eheim canister. I have 3.

Aquaclears are essentially HOB canisters. I have 2 110's and I have the sponge on the bottom, then a large bunch of polyester fiber floss in the middle, ceramic rings on top. I rinse everything really well in old tank water every 2 weeks. I do one filter one week and the other the next week. You don't replace anything until it's falling apart.

Just hooked up my 2213 today. I like it so far but I think it's a lil much for my 37 gal. It's only staying in that for a month then I'm transferring it to my 75gal. The output pressure is a lil high for my current tank. Anyone know of any mods I could do temporary?

You have a prefilter on it? Might help a little but nothing dramatic, it will also help keep any fish from getting hung up on the intake

No I do not. Two of my tanks are bigger fish so I don't worry there. I should probably get one for my live bearer tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beware of the AquaClear bypass issues. Go here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/aquaclear-bypass-issues-292796.html

Those holes in the side are ridiculous. I use duct tape to cover mine so all water must pass through mechanical media.

For crystal clear water, the Ideal way to pack the media section is:

Factory sponge ---> filter floss tightly packed (Sera Wool is top notch) ---> Seachem Purigen ----> factory biomax.

Back
Top Bottom