New fish help - ammonia levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom Sawyer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I thought I had cycled my 10 gallon planted aquarium when I tested it after 3 weeks of cycling (I used an ammonia source and api's bacteria solution). I had readings of 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, and under 5.0 ppm nitrate, but I guess I rushed it too quickly because the ammonia levels spiked when I added a honey gourami. The ammonia levels jumped from 0 to 0.25 ppm - 1.0 ppm. I am going to assume I didn't successfully and properly cycle the aquarium.

What would be the proper steps to cycle the aquarium and not make the fish suffer? I have been doing daily 50% water changes to dilute the present ammonia. I have tested my tap water for any contaminants and it's all 0 ppms nitrite, ammonia, and nitrate. I treat the water with seachem prime and let the water sit over night.

-Should I pull him out and set him up in 5 gallon buckets that have been treated with seachem prime until the aquarium has been properly established? (I have roughly six 5 gallon buckets to use.)

-Should I stress the fish and try to do a fish in cycle? (I read these are possible, but not suggested as it will really stress and possibly kill the fish)

What should I do? (I already asked if I could return the fish, but they declined.)

What is your pH for the tank? 50% water changes and adding any dechlorinator is all you can do. 1ppm is not bad but it depends on your pH. Ammonia takes days to weeks to have any effect on fish. What kind of filter do you have and what media is in it?

Ph was 7.0. I moved him to a cycled tank. He's doing much better.

Back
Top Bottom