New Fish HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, so I got my api master test kit. I have had my fish ( 3 Glofish tetras) for roughly 10 days and I am still measuring 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. I have only done 1 water change and that was on the second day. Ever since, I haven’t done any water changes since I haven’t gotten any ammonia reading.

The funny thing is when I use test strips I do get some ammonia readings, but when I use the api master kit I get a zero ammonia reading.

Could using Seachem prime and stability affect the results because I use those products.

The funny thing is when I use test strips I do get some ammonia readings, but when I use the api master kit I get a zero ammonia reading.

Could using Seachem prime and stability affect the results because I use those products.
They shouldnt affect any readings. I would normally trust the liquid test over strips, but make sure you are doing the tests correctly. Follow the instructions precisely. Nitrate is especially prone to false negative readings if you dont really shake the heck out of bottle #2.

They shouldnt affect any readings. I would normally trust the liquid test over strips, but make sure you are doing the tests correctly. Follow the instructions precisely. Nitrate is especially prone to false negative readings if you dont really shake the heck out of bottle #2.

Yes I am doing the test accurately. But is t it weird that the fish have been their for like 8 days already and barely any water changes and still getting a reading of zero ammonia. I have a 20 gal tank so maybe there isn’t enough fish.

I would expect to see something after a week with a few fish even if low amounts. Either ammonia/nitrite if you arent cycled or nitrate if you are cycled, or a bit of both if you have "some" cycle. That and the fact your strips show ammonia is why i asked if you are sure you are doing the test correctly.

If you wanted a 2nd (or in your case 3rd) opinion, take some water to the fish store and ask them to test it for you.

If you are confident in your test, then add a couple of fish.

I would expect to see something after a week with a few fish even if low amounts. Either ammonia/nitrite if you arent cycled or nitrate if you are cycled, or a bit of both if you have "some" cycle. That and the fact your strips show ammonia is why i asked if you are sure you are doing the test correctly.

If you wanted a 2nd (or in your case 3rd) opinion, take some water to the fish store and ask them to test it for you.

If you are confident in your test, then add a couple of fish.

I think the liquid test is accurate though. I am adding 8 drops from each bottle and shaking it vigorously.

Could my test be defective. I have had lots of fish flakes sit on the gravel for days to weeks already. And still zero ammonia.

It could be. Why are you leaving fish food to decompose on the substrate? Remove any uneaten food. You can use a turkey baster to do this.

I cleaned all the water. But my driftwood has like white stuff on it. Almost like dust particles stuck together. What is that?

Ok, here is the pictures.

Attachments

• B6F25F80-A325-4EBC-962E-E621D5573BB5.jpg
    B6F25F80-A325-4EBC-962E-E621D5573BB5.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 6B5C6FFA-7E32-40CD-B590-88D2A7BDE506.jpg
    6B5C6FFA-7E32-40CD-B590-88D2A7BDE506.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 8
Take out the wood, give it a manual clean. If any is on the substrate then vacuum it out with your water change. To remove uneaten food see Post #69.

Last edited:
If someone gives me water from their established tank will that cycle my tank instantly. By water I mean they will take some water out of their tank and clean/ squish their filter sponge in that water.

Possibly one of the worst things you could do is transfer water from one tank to another. The bacteria you need to cycle your tank lives on surfaces. It lives in your substrate, on the glass your tank is made from, on your aquarium decor. But mostly it lives on your filter media, ie your ceramic rings, sponges, or wharever media you have in your filter. Very little lives in the water, so transferring water will do nothing useful.

What does live in tank water? Parasites, other bacteria you dont want infecting your fish. Anything in one tanks water you don't want will be transferred to yours. There is nothing of benefit to transferring water and potentially lots of things you dont want.

Lets go back to post #33. Ive explained what you can speed things up. But short of transferring a whole filter including its media from a cycled tank to yours an instant cycle is impossible

A good way to speed up this process would be to put a small amount of filter media from an established filter into your filter, or get a sponge from an established filter and squeeze it into your tank water. Perhaps you have a friend who keeps fish who could let you have some? This will seed your filter with the bacteria you are trying to grow and speed up the process.

If someone gives me water from their established tank will that cycle my tank instantly. By water I mean they will take some water out of their tank and clean/ squish their filter sponge in that water.

It's not the right way to get water from another tank to cycle yours. To remove the uneaten food, you can get a hygger aquarium water changer, which can vacuum siphon the uneaten food without harm to your fish and your hands. After clean the tank you can prepare to cycle it.

Ok so it’s only been like 3 weeks since I have started the fish in cycle. And my results are posted below. Does this mean my tank is cycled? I dosed Seachem stability but only a couple of times. I never had measured any nitrite.

Attachments

• 46C1FA34-91B8-41A6-8F9F-B0E541D66399.jpg
    46C1FA34-91B8-41A6-8F9F-B0E541D66399.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 4
If you are consistently seeing those test results before water changes you are cycled for the fish you currently have.

If you are fully stocked you are cycled.

If your plan is to add more fish then get a few more. The increased bioload will possibly lead to ammonia showing up again, so do water changes as you have been doing to control ammonia + nitrite combined no higher than 0.5ppm combined. When you are again seeing consistent test results like these, again add a few more. Rinse and repeat until you are at your desired stock.

Back
Top Bottom