New Fish Looks Sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cybercron

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased a purple tang at my LFS yesterday and it looks sick. It has been in my tank for little over 24 hours and is exhibiting little white speckles all over its body. I originally thought there was sand stuck to the fish. After closer examination it definitely looks parasitic. All of my other fish have been in the tank 8+ months and seem very healthy. My water quality tests out great. I can't make it back to that particular LFS this weekend, what are my options? I do not want to risk infecting my other fish.

Thanks,

Van

Get it out into a QT tank now. Hopefully it did not infect the other fish. If you don't have a Qt tanks perhaps your lfs can treat for you.

You'll really need to get him out of the tank ASAP and hope none of the parasites are in your tank now, Other wise you may have a bigger problem..Did you quarantine the fish first? Actually guess that doesn't matter now..I'd put it into a quarantine immediately and do a Hypo Salinity on it.

I called both of my LFS. One said Blue Tangs are know for Ick and I should flush the fish. The other LFS said I could buy some "reef safe" chemical that will cure the fish and prevent infection. Anyone have further advice on this subject. Unfortunately I have had such a great success with my tank I converted my hospital tank to a freshwater tank. Do I flush or build a new hospital tank? Neither LFS wants the fish back, even for free!

Van

Blue tangs are to dang expensive to just be flushing them down the toilet. I never flush anything unless it isn't alive anymore. Whover said that at your lfs needs to be smacked upside the head. Just my opinion. I would QT him and treat him. Don't use anything that says reef safe. I have yet to find a "Reef Safe" Treatment for ich. Just qt him and treat from there.

brndfrb said:
Blue tangs are to dang expensive to just be flushing them down the toilet. I never flush anything unless it isn't alive anymore. Whover said that at your lfs needs to be smacked upside the head. Just my opinion. I would QT him and treat him. Don't use anything that says reef safe. I have yet to find a "Reef Safe" Treatment for ich. Just qt him and treat from there.
agree 100 percent first in line to smack him in the head :evil:

I did not agree with my LFS regarding the flush treatment, so I went out a purchased a QT tank.

Blue tang is safely in QT tank and I am treating him with copper. I put a new bulb in my UV sterilizer and I have my fingers crossed that there are no additional parasites in my main tank.

Thanks to all for the advice.

My Ick outbreak is rising!

I lost my Hippo Tang after adding her to the QT! Now my royal gramma is all spotty. The original offender, my Blue Tang is still healing in my QT with copper. He still looks spotty.

What is a good strategy to prevent the remainder of my population from getting sick? To QT all of my fish I will need a new QT tank. Is there any way to treat the main tank? I have corals, could they become infected?

Help :cry:

I would get another tank. You need to leave the main tank void of fish (inverts and corrals are Ok, don't treat them, they are not hosts for the parasite)for 4-6 weeks, the longer the better. This will allow the parasites to go through their life cycle and die. They cannot live with out fish hosts.
Treat all the fish with copper. This should solve your problem.

Treating the main tank would be just a waste of time and money. Pretty much everything thats out there that "Claims" to be reef safe either isn't or doesn't work at all.. Your best bet is to pull all your fish from the main tank and QT them.. Then Like quarryshark said leave the tank fallow for at least 6 weeks or longer. I know the whole Idea stinks but its for the best..I just suffered amajor blow and lost all my fish..So I know how you feel right about now.. My tank has been sitting without fish for 2 weeks now and I'm shooting for 8 to make sure everything is cool.. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom