New fish stocking ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 40 gallon tall tank. i currently have
1 angelfish
2 rosy barbs
1 hatchetfish
1 GBR
2 Neon tetras
3 emperor tetras
4 gardneri killifish
2 SAE
2 amano shrimp
2 rasboras
Before you freak out that i dont have schools, i would like to say i used to but my stock has gone down over the past year.

I want to have some suggestions. I really like fish that breed (i like to watch the little babies grow up)

so i want you to treat this tank like it does not have fish in it. ( i need to relocate some of them in order to make room for schools)

fishfanatic said:
I have a 40 gallon tall tank. i currently have
1 angelfish
2 rosy barbs
1 hatchetfish
1 GBR
2 Neon tetras
3 emperor tetras
4 gardneri killifish
2 SAE
2 amano shrimp
2 rasboras
Before you freak out that i dont have schools, i would like to say i used to but my stock has gone down over the past year.

I want to have some suggestions. I really like fish that breed (i like to watch the little babies grow up)

so i want you to treat this tank like it does not have fish in it. ( i need to relocate some of them in order to make room for schools)

Ok, let's see here... I'm gonna list what I'd let stay (including the schoolers that you can up later.) anything else I am either not familiar with, or needs to go.

1 angelfish
6 rosy barbs
2 GBR (a pair for breeding)
6 neon tetras
2 SAE
7 amano shrimp (you can add more if you'd like)

That's what I'd do with the ones you have now... But if this tank were empty:

1 starlight bristlenose pleco
2 black mollies
2 Bolivian rams
8 black skirt tetras
8 rummynose tetras
6 orange laser cories

And a 70 gallon aquaclear filter. The mollies and rams would be easy to breed, and the cories and tetras might breed as well.

is there an option to keep the gardneri killifish (i love them so much) and i have heard they can bread

Ya, those were the ones I wasn't familiar with. As long as they don't get huge, You can add them to the lists.

1 angelfish
6 rosy barbs
6 neon tetras
2 SAE

if i did this and the 4 gardneri killifish would i be over stocked? and what would i have to remove to put another angelfish in the tank?

You'd be good adding the killifish to that list. As for the 2nd angel... You'd have to pick... 2 angels, or two rams. Sadly, You only get one cichlid pair in that tank size.

Ya, those were the ones I wasn't familiar with. As long as they don't get huge, You can add them to the lists.

gardneri killifish dont get over 1.5 inches (as far as i know)
imgres
imgres

those are what i have (and a female for each of them)

i think i will go with the rams.... and one angelfish

i am almost positive the answer but i will ask anyways, could i put a discus in my tank?

and another question. could i have any rainbows in my tank (they are so beautiful)

i think i will go with the rams.... and one angelfish

i am almost positive the answer but i will ask anyways, could i put a discus in my tank?

and another question. could i have any rainbows in my tank (they are so beautiful)

Yeah I would go with the rams too. :D

so what do you guys and gals think of a discus in a 40 gallon?

what are some fish that take care of there babies? that could be in a 40 gallon tall tank.

Rams, kribensis, angels. They all may eat their eggs when they're new parents, but they'll get better and start to protect them.

I have never seen kribensis before ( i googled it and they look very beautiful!) how are they aggression wise and how big do they get?

would i have to pick between the kribensis and the angelfish? (if there is any way i would like to fit a pair of kribensis in the tank)
how difficult are they to breed?
is it very likely that rams will breed i have heard they are difficult to breed?

[FONT=&quot]1 angelfish
6 rosy barbs
6 neon tetras
2 [FONT=&quot]SAE[/FONT]

what if i did some thing like this but minus the rosy barbs. could i have a pair of Kribensis?
[/FONT]

I think that'd work. You could do the kribs if you removed the angel, but it's your call. The barbs won't make much of a difference.

Back
Top Bottom