new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish lover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
does anyone here have an elephant fish, if so, please tell me all the information you know on them and advice I need to keep hiim or her healthy, I just bought him on Friday, and he is so cute I would hate to loose him, and of course my other fish. He is so unique, he looks like, partial dolphin, humming bird and wearing a tutut. hehehe. I am not sure when I should feed him, the info I have read is at night, but thats the only time I get to see him acitive, and if I feed him, when the lights are on my
Angel fish will eat the food, and then he has hardly anything left.

Dolphin

My elephant nose is a picky eater. He will occasionally take a flake if it falls in front of him just right. His favorite is frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp or mysis shrimp. I have to hold it in tongs in front of him to make sure he gets his fill though. He also will take Wardley's shrimp pellets since they break apart on the bottom and he can slurp them up. Shrimp pellets are his staple and he gets frozen twice a week and has been doing fine for the past year that way. Having something to hide in or under makes him more comfortable also.

feeding

That is great to know, because I was thinking boy feeding him black worms could get pricey, so you have no problem in him eating the pellets, thats great. I do have cat fish they eat the pellets so maybe I should place more in then usual, to make sure zippy (elephant fish will get some food to ) What behaviors have you notice about yours.?
Have you ever had a sick fish, and needed to treat it, did you treat the whole tank, or place it its own tank, because to my understanding elephant fish are sensitive to medications.

dolphin

Luckily I have not had ich in the tank with the elephant nose. Ordinary antibiotics, melafix, pimafix, and Prazipro have been used in his tank with no problems. As far as behaviors, he quickly became less shy and has learned to expect his pellets on the bottom when the other fish are being feed up top. He begs at the glass just like the rest of them now. Since he uses his electric field sense to sense food and his surroundings, metal in the tank really bothers him. He also investigates new things, like hands in the tank, by backing up to them. I hear they can give a mild shock if their tails are grabbed, but haven't heard of it actually happening to anyone.

Thanks for getting back with me, I really am enjoying my zippy, he is so neat to watch, last night, it was so strange he came out when it wasn't dark yet swimming around, so I'm thinking he is getting comfortable with his new surroundings. I'm surprised your able to feed him shrimp pellets when they are not electric only worms are so they can sense that with the sonar. Do you just drop the pellets around him, and he eventually eats them, do you see him eating them? Thats great to know that I can medicate my other fish and he won't be affected, do you think I should do 1/2 dosage? Have you ever had sick fish, to where you medicate them?

Have a great Day!

Dolphin

shrimp pellets

I have been dropping the shrimp pellets into the tank, and I hope he is eating them, so I don't have to feed him the worms all the time, because that can get expensive. Did you just drop them in, and he is eating them.
Also I have new home for him, but I'm not sure how to get him in his new home, do you have any suggestions?

:D
Shelley

usually people will buy a small batch of live food then culture it, such as your black worms.

feeding

You just drop the shrimp pellets and he eats, you seen him eat them, I can't see, since I feed him at night, and if I turn on the light, he goes behind the plant.
I notice these small holes on their side of the head is that normal.

Do you have any suggestions to how I can draw him into his new home?

Back
Top Bottom