New fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattrox

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had to move my 4 ft tank to fit in a new table for Christmas. That meant emptying the tank. Something went horribly wrong and the 10 Angel fish that I had died. There must have been some sort of shock to the system. Never had this trouble before. The two bristlenoses survived. It was especially sad because I had got them when they were tiny and I had several that were laying eggs on a regular basis and I was about to seperate out breeding pairs.

Anyway, you can't have Christmas with an empty tank reminding you of the disaster. So we went to the lfs and decided on African cichlids. I got 2 electric yellows, 1 hongi, 1 A. hansbaenschi, 1 peacock (unidentified, from a tank marked 'assorted peacocks' and it would be nice to have an ID for it), 1 fuelleborni and 1 M. johanni. If there are any naming errors by the lfs I would like to know as well.

So far things are going weel. I put some rock work in and will build on it too. I may get a few more fish yet but want to make sure these settle in. The tank is around 80 gal.

#edit ... why are the pics showing up almost monochromatic in the post?

Attachments

• hansbaenschi_160.jpg
    hansbaenschi_160.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 40
  • peacock_782.jpg
    peacock_782.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 47
  • fuelleborni_172.jpg
    fuelleborni_172.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 50
  • tank_001_707.jpg
    tank_001_707.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 51
  • hongi_505.jpg
    hongi_505.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 50
  • the_fish_134.jpg
    the_fish_134.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 54
Nice lookin fish. There is a glitch that the admin is aware of as far as the pics viewing goes. By clicking on the pic you get a clean pic.

We went to the best Aquarium shop in Adelaide today. We upgraded Bazza's (the FW tortoise) tank. That is in the new aquisitions forum. But I couldn't resist and got some new Malawi ciclids. When the water clears the pics will follow.

4 more small Electric yellow Labs, 1 cobolt blue zebra, 1 moori, 1 electric blue, 1 Protomalas 'Tiawan Reef'. I did also get a feather fin catfish, wrong lake.... eh I like the fish.

Can someone help me out on the gallon capacity of a 4X2X2 ft tank? I have done a couple calculations with differing results. And I work in litres here in Australia. I think I under estimated the volume of the tank ... hence the hasty purchase of more fish.

Re-did the rock work too. Picked up some choice limestone while on vacation, soaked it to remove any saltwater residue and it is now in the tank too. Ordered new fitration gear online and should arrive in the nest couple days.

The 24"x12"x18" tank that Bazza was in will be a breeding tank now. I want to get some female A. hansbaenschi for the male and have her spit the babies in the smaller tank. Hoping for the same with the yellow labs.

Just adding pics...... Sorry for the water droplets... they won't win any awards but show the fish.

Attachments

• A hansbaenschi.jpg
    A hansbaenschi.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 76
  • ahli.jpg
    ahli.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 77
  • moori.jpg
    moori.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 83
  • taiwan reef.jpg
    taiwan reef.jpg