New glofish (zebra danios)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your danios will be unhappy and unhealthy in a 5 gallon. If you have the chance to take them back, you really should.

Why do such small fish like glofish need such a huge tank? They are so tiny!

I just noticed one of my albino Corey's is really fat. Probly cuz it ate alot. I only give the Corey's broken up pieces of half a pellet of bottom feeder food a day. Could that still be too much? And I only give my glofish one pinch of micro pellets a day? Could that be too much? Just asking.

Because they're very fast and active. I have 8 in my 32 gallon tall, they can swim more than half a foot in one quick spurt in a split second and that's about the length of your tank.

Trust me, if you don't want to spend money upgrading your tank later, you should take them back. You might not feel the same way now, but once you get emotionally attached to them, you WILL buy them a bigger tank when you see them struggling a few months to a year from now. LOL.

Puggle88 said:

I just noticed one of my albino Corey's is really fat. Probly cuz it ate alot. I only give the Corey's broken up pieces of half a pellet of bottom feeder food a day. Could that still be too much? And I only give my glofish one pinch of micro pellets a day? Could that be too much? Just asking.

It's not just the size of the fish, it's how active they are that has to be considered when stocking a tank. And do you know why your cories aren't growing? It's because they are getting stunted from the small environment. Stunting is when the outside of the fish stops growing but the inside does not. They die a horrible, painful and premature death. Harsh but true.

Ya. The glofish love to swim in circles and play what looks like hide and seek in my barrel decoration its so cute. They are all so hyper.

Oh no!!! :( maybe ill ask the library. And see if its too late to take the glofish back. The fish would be pretty sweet in the library tank. But are glofish and albino coreys compatible with 2 big bala sharks and a big pleco catfish? The library also has one other small fish but idk what it is. The sharks look like this one from google

Attachments

• image-1309975544.jpg
    image-1309975544.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 56

Glo fish aren't tiny at all. As I said earlier in the thread, those in your photos are very young and a full grown danio is atleast twice that size. They literally need a tank 4-6 times what you are offering them. It's not a minor shortage of space..it's pretty major.

The cories probably would have grown more if given the space to do so. Fish are often stunted when kept in tanks too long, which causes internal damage.

I've only had small bala's myself, but danios and cories were fine with them.

I know, it is hard, but you'll feel really good about it when you see them having at it in that huge tank!

You need to find some nano fish like cooler temps (since I don't see a heater in there) or add a heater and get a betta. :)

I would really love it if the library took my fish. If not I can see what all petsmart would do for me. I really want a happy tank with happy fish. Not sick sad fish. :(

Ya. I would get a Betta if I found a pink one! Omg! And what kind of Decore do Betta like? The barrel would be too small probly.

And my room only gets 70 degrees unless my electric room heater is plugged in then it gets 75 or 76 at times.

Your barrel will be fine. Betta have big fins but they're actually pretty slim. My betta is actually just slightly bigger than my danios if you don't count its fins.

The most important thing when it comes to decor with bettas, is to make sure there are no rough edges or pokeys that they could snag their delicate fins on. If you do find some on the decor, just file it down with a metal nail file. Check plastic plants thoroughly as well, as they often have sharp bits.

The little baby fake plants may. But the barrel has bubbles when I turn on the bubble thing. I did have this Asian Chinese looking thing in my tank. I'd have to get rid of the fake bamboo though. That's what was in my tank

Attachments

• image-2074478865.jpg
    image-2074478865.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 56
Puggle88 said:
The little baby fake plants may. But the barrel has bubbles when I turn on the bubble thing. I did have this Asian Chinese looking thing in my tank. I'd have to get rid of the fake bamboo though. That's what was in my tank
Those plants should be fine! I have two bettas and they never have torn fins, even when there are sharp looking plants in the tank.

A couple other ideas would be chili rasbora or else celestial pearl danios. Either of those would be ok in your temps IMO. But, a heater for a 5g isn't very expensive, so it wouldn't be a huge investment. Up to you.

absolutangel04 said:
A couple other ideas would be chili rasbora or else celestial pearl danios. Either of those would be ok in your temps IMO. But, a heater for a 5g isn't very expensive, so it wouldn't be a huge investment. Up to you.

I have a five gallon and needed a heater, so I just got the aqueon 25 watt one that stays at 76 degrees... it works great!

oops sorry I thought this thread only had one page, anyways looks good. Again I agree with absolutangel04. A heater for a five gallon is really cheap. My brother got a simple 10 gallon heater at walmart for just $10.

Back
Top Bottom