New Goldfish/Livebearer Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I currently have a 10 gallon tank, and I am planning to upgrade soon to a 50-60 gallon aquarium and I have a few questions:

1. Would two sponge filters and an aquaclear 70 filter be enough as far as filtration goes? Also, I know there are certain filters that are too powerful for some tanks. Would the aquaclear 70 be? Does this apply to sponge filters? (for 50 gal? 60?)

2. What size tank would be better?

65 Gal: 36 x 18 x 25"

50 Gal: 48 x 12 x 20"

3. Would it be okay to put the tank in front of a window? (I realize this can cause some issues). I don't have any other room to put the tank, but I could move my dresser in front of the window to make room. (I just don't want to move it if I can avoid it because my 10 gallon is on top of it).

4. I would like to have either a goldfish tank, or a livebearer tank.

If I made it a pearlscale goldfish tank (assuming it's a 50 gallon) how many could comfortably fit in there?

If I made it a livebearer tank (assuming it's a 50 gallon) how many platies, mollies, and/or swordtails could I do?

(I don't know why I like the fish with such a high bioload :lol: )

The needs for tropical livebearers are much different than fancy goldfish. Sponge filters would likely be sufficient for a minimally stocked livebearer tank but not for messy goldfish. The type of tank will also depend on what you choosing. Delicate fancies prone to buoyancy issues such as pearls will do better in a long tank with less height while I don't believe livebearers face the same issues (but I may be wrong as I do not keep them). How much effort you plan on spending on the tank should also factor into your decision- fancies are quite a bit more work than livebearers. I would spend some more time researching your options and figure out what your space, time (and budget) will work for you.

The needs for tropical livebearers are much different than fancy goldfish. Sponge filters would likely be sufficient for a minimally stocked livebearer tank but not for messy goldfish. The type of tank will also depend on what you choosing. Delicate fancies prone to buoyancy issues such as pearls will do better in a long tank with less height while I don't believe livebearers face the same issues (but I may be wrong as I do not keep them). How much effort you plan on spending on the tank should also factor into your decision- fancies are quite a bit more work than livebearers. I would spend some more time researching your options and figure out what your space, time (and budget) will work for you.

Thank you for all the answers! Would I be better off just doing a aqua clear 110? Would that be too powerful for a tank that size?

Thank you for all the answers! Would I be better off just doing a aqua clear 110? Would that be too powerful for a tank that size?

I am believer in hefty filtration but you will need to figure out what size tank your looking at and what you plan on stocking. For fancies, it's best to opt for atleast 10x the tank size (ie, 400gph+ on a 40g). Please ask if you have questions!

I am believer in hefty filtration but you will need to figure out what size tank your looking at and what you plan on stocking. For fancies, it's best to opt for atleast 10x the tank size (ie, 400gph+ on a 40g). Please ask if you have questions!
I really appreciate your help! (y) I realize that livebearers have a large bio-load also. I think I've decided on a 55 gallon tank size. Would a filter that has 550 gph be to much for livebearers to handle?

I don't think so but as I don't keep these guys, I honestly don't know. My only concern would be the suction and this can be dampered by using filter foam over the intake. Hopefully, someone with experience with these fish will offer some input!

Back
Top Bottom