New gravel cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently added new gravel (purchased at Petco) to my tank and now its cloudy. Looks clear from the front but from the side its cloudy. I want to know how much water I can safely remove from the tank (its a 55g) at one time and how often I can do a water change? Also is it ok to use a water clarifier? All of my parameters are fine. Its been 2 days since adding the new gravel.

Cloudy Water

Good morning M...

I change a minimum of half the water every week in my 55 G tanks. If you could ask the fish and plants how much you should change weekly, I bet they'd all say "The More, The Better!".

The more clean, treated water you run through the tank, the heathier your fish and plants will be. That's because if you're always flushing new water through your tank, there's no way for wastes to build up before the next water change.

Your water will stay clearer too. The water in my tanks gets a little cloudy after a water change, because the gravel is disturbed, but I have an extra power filter I use. I just put a little polyfiber in the media reservoir and run it for a day or two and the water clears up.

The water clarifier is pretty harmless, but I never put chemicals into my tanks. The extra power filter will do the trick without the clarifier.

B

Did you wash the gravel before adding it??? Try using green away it will make all the tiny dust particles to clump up and then be caught by your filter.

I'd just wait it out. There is no reason to use chemicals other than dechlorinator in the tank. It will clear up eventually on its own and you won't have to spend the extra cash on a product you don't need. :)

Did you wash the gravel before adding it?

The filter might pick up most of the fine dust and the heavier particles should settle back to the bottom soon :)

Yes I did, but I wonder if I didn't wash it enough. I'm also going to cut back on feedings to every other day to see if that helps.
:banghead::thanks:

Good morning M...

I change a minimum of half the water every week in my 55 G tanks. If you could ask the fish and plants how much you should change weekly, I bet they'd all say "The More, The Better!".

The more clean, treated water you run through the tank, the heathier your fish and plants will be. That's because if you're always flushing new water through your tank, there's no way for wastes to build up before the next water change.

Your water will stay clearer too. The water in my tanks gets a little cloudy after a water change, because the gravel is disturbed, but I have an extra power filter I use. I just put a little polyfiber in the media reservoir and run it for a day or two and the water clears up.

The water clarifier is pretty harmless, but I never put chemicals into my tanks. The extra power filter will do the trick without the clarifier.

B
Some say you don't need to use carbon in your filter. Do you use it? I've thought about going to polyfiber, but am unsure about it. Right now I use the refill cartridges and just clean them in tank water I've removed from the tank. I'm using two 60g hang on outside filters.

Back
Top Bottom