New here and needing advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JarrettBurch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello --

I have a 135-gallon freshwater tank that has been active more or less continuously since 2001. Initially this was set up as a planted tank with all the bells and whistles (compacts, CO2, timed nutrient dosing) but the past few years emphasis has shifted more toward fishkeeping.

Lately I have had one "disaster" after another, and am here seeking advice and or encouragement not to quit altogether.

The tank has an Eheim filter (2250, I think), a Fluval canister filer (mainly for water clarity), and a UV sterilizer. Temp is around 75 F.

I do regular water changes via a Python, and always dose with Amquel before refilling to deal with chlorine and chloramines.

The latest debacle was a medication dosing issue that wiped out all 7 severums but spared two blue gouramis. Yesterday I introduced 6 young panda corys; one died overnight, and looks like another one will die today after a small water change this afternoon. The fins look irregularly spotted with something white, and possibly the gills are inflamed.

If I'm using Amquel, that should knock out chlorine "burns," correct? Could there be some kind of latent toxic substance in the Python tubing?

I noticed with previous water changes the sevs would come to the top of the water column and either hang there or "gasp."

I appreciate your reading this far. I know I'm missing something, or doing something incorrectly. Hopefully some fresh pairs of eyes will help.

Thanks.

J

First welcome to AA!
Next do you own a test kit with good expiration date?
Parameters would be very helpful in this case I believe.
I don't use a python but many here do and I have never heard of issue especially with leaching toxins.

I used amquel years ago myself.
Is there a particular reason you choose this brand treatment?
You will find in most cases and other forums ,that the majority of keepers use seachem prime or safe.

I know of pleco breeder who uses amquel particulary on her pleco tanks but prime on all her others?
Guess I should ask her why?

Is the substrate original(2001) and being previously planted what is it?
Hope this gets the ball rolling.
You came to the right place!

My questions are were the corys qt'd and did you purchase them locally or have them shipped to you? Pics would also be useful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks very much.

This morning I ordered Seachem Prime and Seachem Stability, as well as an API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

I used Amquel just out of habit. That's going to change.

When a batch of fish mysteriously died off a few years ago, I removed most of the laterite substrate and vacuumed thoroughly. Now there's maybe a third of an inch of laterite, tops.

I don't yet have chem parameters to report and want to wait for the new test kit.

The corys were bought locally. Two more were found dead today, so maybe there are two left. The two blue gouramis seem to be OK.

Out of frustration I haven't approached this problem systematically, so I appreciate your questions and insight while piecing together my ramblings.

J

You didn't tell us if the corys were quarantined before adding to your tank. Also are they tank raised or wild caught?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Sorry; the corys weren't quarantined.

Prior to the corys' introduction, the two gouramis were the only fish in the tank.

Ok so in my estimation the corys brought illness with them. Unless you are getting fish from someone 's house and you really trust them you should always qt the fish. Some people do 2 weeks. I don't think that is nearly long enough. IMO. a minimum of 4 weeks is need and longer if the fish is wild caught.

So going forward can you post pictures of the remaining fish and did you observe anything about the dead or dying fish?

Ok so in my estimation the corys brought illness with them. Unless you are getting fish from someone 's house and you really trust them you should always qt the fish. Some people do 2 weeks. I don't think that is nearly long enough. IMO. a minimum of 4 weeks is need and longer if the fish is wild caught.

So going forward can you post pictures of the remaining fish and did you observe anything about the dead or dying fish?

+1 after a dreadful case with columnaris I will always quarantine my fish now.

You mentioned "white spots"... Have more started appearing? If so, this sounds like a common case of ich that's been introduced by your new cories.

Caleb

Several days ago I bought a brand-new test kit. Here are the initial readings:

pH 6.0 to 6.2
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 40 to 50
Ammonia 0.25 (scale was difficult to read- I guessed 0.25, but not higher)

I suspect the pH was lower than 6.

I've been adding sodium bicarbonate and the pH now reads around 7.

I also purchased Seachem Prime for use in water changes, and added Seachem Stability- just in case the good bacteria needed a boost.

Honestly, I feel like a complete dork, assuming an "long-established tank" would be perpetually in balance without significant changes in pH, etc. Hopefully I've learned from my mistakes.

What do you recommend for a 135 gallon? Let's assume eventually we had six juvenile sevs and a school of tetras.

25% biweekly?

What do you recommend for a 135 gallon? Let's assume eventually we had six juvenile sevs and a school of tetras.

25% biweekly?

I'd do at least 30% weekly. This all depends on your nitrates though. I feel bad for even being a couple days late on my water change because this water is what your fish breath, I try to keep as clean as possible even if it means I have to put in extra effort.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom