New Here, Building my first tank in over 10 years.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FluidMotion

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Had a small small tank when I was a child, and never took care of it properly. Been reading aquarium guides for the past week and decided its time to start a 20gallon the correct way.

Buying some christmas presents for myself to start this thing.

Doing a no fish cycle.

Still not sure what fish I am getting.

New Tank

Hello Flu...

I'd recommend Platys, however a 20 G may be too small for them in the long run. They're pretty fast breeders in good water conditions. Second choice would be Rosey Danios. Pretty fish and very hardy. Will easily tolerate most water chemistry. A peaceful, but predatory egglayer, so they don't reproduce well unless you monitor them carefully. I keep both, they're very nice fish.

Good luck with the fishless cycle. Never tried it, but some say it works. Just be sure to maintain a steady ammonia level or you could be cycling the tank this time next year.

Have a good holiday.

B

Some fish that would work great in a 20g
1. Cory cats
2. Harlequin rasbora
3. Platys
4. Guppies
5. Neon or cardinal tetras
6. Just about any other tetra :)

I recently turned an empty 20g tank of mine into a planted betta tank. I'll be adding some neon tetras in a week or two.

Good luck with the fishless cycle. Never tried it, but some say it works. Just be sure to maintain a steady ammonia level or you could be cycling the tank this time next year.
B

I love how you tell people that fishless cycling can take forever yet you've never even tried it. My fishless cycle took a week and a half from start to finish how long do your fish in cycles last?

Back
Top Bottom