New Here - Need Some Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zak427

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, my name is Zak, I've been keeping aquariums on and off for about 10 years. I currently have a 75 gallon tank with Blue Acaras and Red Spot Gold Severums and a heavily planted 10 gallon Betta tank. The 75 is filtered by a Magniflow 360 canister and Emperor 400 as well as a UV sterilizer and Magnum Water Polisher after each water change, the 10 gallon by a small Sunsun canister.

I'm in need of some help with my 75 gallon and a sudden nitrite and ammonia spike. I missed 2 weekly water changes at the beginning of the month from being so busy, so the last 2 water changes I did were bigger than normal (about 70%). I also changed the mechanical sponges in my canister. Yesterday before work I decided to check my water (with an API master test kit) and got an ammonia reading of about 1 ppm and a nitrite reading of between 1 and 2 ppm. I checked after work and got .5 ppm ammonia and 1 ppm nitrite. I have been double dosing Prime to make the nitrite and ammonia less toxic and plan on doing a 50% water change tonight when I get home. Thankfully none of my fish are showing any signs of stress or sickness, they are eating, full of color, not gasping for air, and no red gills.

Does anyone have an idea of what could have caused my spikes? Possibly replacing the foam? Sorry for being so long winded and thank you in advance for any and all help. I'm off to work now but will be checking here on my breaks. Thank You!

The stock of my 75 gallon is: 3 juvenile a Blue Acaras, 2 juvenile Red Spot Gold Severums, 2 male Albino Bristlenose, 2 Common Whiptail Cats, and 8 Albino Cories.

Back
Top Bottom