New house with pondish waterfall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, in my new house, there is a waterfall that falls into a sort of pond thing. The water is sort of fast moving, and there is quite a bit of surface agitation. The pond part stretches about 5 feet out from where the waterfall falls, and is about 6 feet across... It's about 3-4 feet deep. I was wondering if I could put a single eastern painted turtle in there, and be ok? I'm a newb at ponds, but it looks very well filtered. Also, I have dogs that will most likely go for a swim every once in a while... But I could kind of fence it off... Would that be a problem as well? The owner kept koi in it before, but I feel like it's not big enough, and there's too much surface agitation for koi.

Pic? Is this man/women made? Is that turtle native? Because turtles can and will run off. But if I could see it, I could better help you.

Bige said:
Pic? Is this man/women made? Is that turtle native? Because turtles can and will run off. But if I could see it, I could better help you.

Yes the pond is man made, yes the turtle is native, (I've caught a few before) and well... I don't live in the house yet so no pics yet, lol, but I might can snap a few tomorrow, as we're doing a walk through. Thanks for replying!

Grr... I've got the pictures, but the app is still being stupid. I'll get on the computer and work on it.

Here: I hope these load...

Attachments

• image-379319287.jpg
    image-379319287.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 316
  • image-2837089266.jpg
    image-2837089266.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 310
  • image-165303553.jpg
    image-165303553.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 300
  • image-1928988972.jpg
    image-1928988972.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 321
Thats sick! I think turtles or koi would be fine. If it is smaller than the pics look, comets or shibunkin would be fine. That is a nice pond.

Way too small for koi! Is there a filter of some sort on it? Might be ok for a few comet-type goldfish, but they will get bigger in time so keep it to a minimum. Also, can it run year round, or will it freeze in your area? If you live in an area with harsh winters, you will probably have to bring the fish inside in the winter.

That's a great water fall, but the pool at the bottom is your limiting feature. It's a bit small for fish long term. A water turtle (not wild caught) would love it...but would quickly escape. If it has a soft liner (i.e. not hard plastic), your dogs will be likely to punch holes in the liner with their nails, which will cause leaks and the hassle that goes along with situation...just FYI.

glassbird said:
Way too small for koi! Is there a filter of some sort on it? Might be ok for a few comet-type goldfish, but they will get bigger in time so keep it to a minimum. Also, can it run year round, or will it freeze in your area? If you live in an area with harsh winters, you will probably have to bring the fish inside in the winter.

That's a great water fall, but the pool at the bottom is your limiting feature. It's a bit small for fish long term. A water turtle (not wild caught) would love it...but would quickly escape. If it has a soft liner (i.e. not hard plastic), your dogs will be likely to punch holes in the liner with their nails, which will cause leaks and the hassle that goes along with situation...just FYI.

i thought it was kinda small for koi too... i really just wanted a turtle for it, so that'd be sweet! my family is probably gonna have to build a fence around our yard at some point... maybe after that i could get a turtle, and it'd have less chance of escape... and i could put some feeder fish in it to persuade him to hang. and yes... there is a filter on it... but i'm not sure what type.

Joyler said:
Ha! I found the thread...I say expand on the basin!! Then get koi :)

at this rate, i may wind up with koi anyway lol. my grandma, who is very persistant, raises butterfly koi... she keeps threatening to send us some lol. i'll go with the turtle though... i'm all for saving those guys from those pathetic little .5 gallons.

Cool pond. You will need plants to go with your turtle! :)

Last edited:
Tanks guys! lol fort... you would bring plants into this. i'll talk to my dad... my mom is becoming a bit concerned about my obsession... wait... i mean hobby. i just told her the plan for my 29 gallon... i don't think she thought it would be such a process. lol. i'm really excited about the turtle though!

You may be able to add rocks around the edge that will keep the turtle in. They need to overhang the water, but be high enough so that the turtle can't touch them. Be sure to add some place where he/she can get out of the water and sit in the sun.I would find a water turtle forum...probably lots of people there can help you make this pond a turtle paradise.

Keep in mind that most dogs will view a turtle as a chew toy. I worked for an exotic vet for 9 years, and I lost count of the number of chewed up turtles that we saw.

Back
Top Bottom