new(ish?) at FW tanks needs help with stocking list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phishphood

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone out there that reads this. First things, I'm a college student so no large large amounts of $$ to put into fish. 2nd...I have a 40 gal tank its an eclipse (but the filter is broken). 3rd.....really would like to see what people would suggest. I have a 10g right now w/ 2 ea. of 3 diff kinds of tetras, 2 feeder fish that survived cycle (out of 10) a small crab and ~6 ghost shrimp(? i think the LFS sells them for food, i bought them b/c they look cool). Any and all suggestions welcome. Oh, btw, never done any sort of tests on the tank, just went by feel. Thanks!
P.P.

Welcome to AA :invasion:

I think your question is about stocking the empty 40 gal...yes? If yes, first things first. Let's get the filter replaced and start cycling the 40. Once this is done, stocking options will be plentiful.

Testing is absolutely necessary with the 40 so along with the filter and all the other supplies you're going to need...include the testing supplies.

I have a new 36 gallon tank I will be starting after my daughter opens it for Xmas. I decided to build a community around an angelfish, and I plan on having mollies, guppies and a pleco. Perhaps a platy or swordtail as well - I fell in love with the fish with lyretails. So pretty.

Anyway, that's my plan - I saw all the kinds of fish at this site:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=830

and they have compatability charts so you know which fish won't likely snack on the others. Good luck!

Welcome to AA :D To speed things along with your 40, I would buy your new filter and hang it on your 10 gal to start bacteria. Check AA for info on fishless cycling. Be aware that angels prefer softer water, while mollies and swords like hard water and a little salt. You might want to test your tap water for ph and hardness, then pick fish that do well in those conditions. Good luck.

Be aware that angels prefer softer water,
I have conflicting resources on this topic. My latest source (Angelfish: R.J. Goldstein,2001)states that domestic bred angels have been bred in hard, alkaline water for so long that these conditions are actually preferable to them now. Wild caught angels would need the soft, acidic tank?

Back
Top Bottom