new lava rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thincat said:
The reason the rock is red is because on the iron content. I don't think it will be good for your fish. It will leach out the iron and other metals in due time.

:( really? ive seen other red lava rocks before

Woops didn't mean to post good luck after that. It was at the same time. Hope you figure it out would be a better thing to say. ;)

so should i not use em i have 2 HOB rated for 100gph its a 15g tank ive seen other lava rocks this color in tanks i dont know what to do

i have red lava rocks in my sump and i never encountered any iron related problems.

if the leach a small amount of iron id see that as a plus because i have live plants in my tank you think its safe to put right away or should they soak i had em in bleach for 3 min but then riinsed wiith hot water and theve been soakin in warm water sence 530est its now 650est

i think a good rinsing, soaking, then re soaking in new water, then a good rinse is all you need.

im currently soaking some lava rocks i got from a building material outlet.

Being as a FW tank would be more on the acid side as far as PH I have my doughts as to slow leaching.

whats the problem if iron leaches people dose iron all the time i have 2 filters with carbon doin pwc every day( allmost done treating ich) normaly every other Sunday i do a pwc so what would happen if said iron leached

Softer is a PH of less then 7.0. which is acid and would cause allot of leachng.

i thoght softer was alkaline i allways reverse things sorry but what no one has made clear is what would happen if iit did leach iron

it wont leech iron. lava rock is basically glass, most of the time its compounds resemble granite which also does not react in water. dont worry about it.

if it DID leech, which it will NOT. it could pose a problem for your animals in the tank. any spike of chemicals in your tank can stress out your fish. you plants might love it, but since they wont be getting a whole lot of iron from the lava rocks i would dose it with iron nutrients as recommended for your size aquarium and plant density.

anarekist said:
if it DID leech, which it will NOT. it could pose a problem for your animals in the tank. any spike of chemicals in your tank can stress out your fish. you plants might love it, but since they wont be getting a whole lot of iron from the lava rocks i would dose it with iron nutrients as recommended for your size aquarium and plant density.

i dont do ferts not enough plants when its mmore densly planted il consider but 100% it wont leach

i wont cause any spikes, but it will leech, a little tiny bit, like all rocks on earth they weather, so you're looking at a few hundred years until they completely disintegrate. if that gives you any idea :). also you're using charcoal so anything you put in the water is getting absorbed out of the water column anyways.

Back
Top Bottom