New lid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kado

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am making a new pine lid for my tank and will be varnishing it inside and out and was wondering if any condensed water evaporated from the tank that gathers on the inside of the lid and drips back into the water will cause any harm to the fish?
Obviously the lid will be completely dry but I'm not sure if the drops of water will pick up any varnish when it condenses on the lid?
Sorry it's a bit of a hard one to explain!!
Any help would be great
I currently have mbunas in the tank

I am making a new pine lid for my tank and will be varnishing it inside and out and was wondering if any condensed water evaporated from the tank that gathers on the inside of the lid and drips back into the water will cause any harm to the fish?

Obviously the lid will be completely dry but I'm not sure if the drops of water will pick up any varnish when it condenses on the lid?
Sorry it's a bit of a hard one to explain!!
Any help would be great
I currently have mbunas in the tank
Hi Kado, my mate recently made me a lid out of cheap wood, not pine!!. We painted the inside with regular white gloss(oil based) paint.. We gave it three coats and let it air dry for nearly a week before i used it. Most people air on the side of caution, and rightly so, when it comes to paint/varnish. I'm sure there is Aquarium safe paint available but i couldn't find it. I have a DIY acrylic condensation tray, sitting on the two glass shelves inside the tank. This stops water going either way or getting at my LED strips.....
No problems, so far...

Attachments

• DSCF6565.jpg
    DSCF6565.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCF6585.jpg
    DSCF6585.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 129
Ian086, nice lid. Is the outside also painted or did you stain it? If painted, is that semi gloss black paint? Working on mine at the moment.
Thanks.

Ian086, nice lid. Is the outside also painted or did you stain it? If painted, is that semi gloss black paint? Working on mine at the moment.
Thanks.
HI, thanks. It's actually matt black. I am thinking of putting semi gloss on it though. IMO, with the matt though, your eyes don't get drawn to the lid....if that makes sense!!!

Thanks for the info Ian. One more question, did you roll/brush the paint on or is it rattle canned.

The lid is now finished and drying. I will post a pic when it's all finished and on the tank :)

Nice Job Kado, really looks great. It looks like a shop bought lid. That is meant as a compliment by the way!!!

Back
Top Bottom