New Life Spectrum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadMax8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I heard a lot about this food on another forum. One member was swearing up and down that this was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and that it was the only food your fish will ever need. So I did some research, checked out the website, checked out the price, and decided to try it. I've been feeding it to my fish for a few months now, and I've noticed the fish really like it, but I can't say that I've noticed a huge difference in appearance or size of my fish.

I've been doing a lot of browsing around here and haven't really noticed too much mention of the food around this site. I was just wondering what the general consensus of the food is around here. Is it the real deal or just another decent food?

I feed NLS .5mm Grow and 1mm Cichlid pellets to all my fish as a staple diet. African cichlids, rainbows, wide variety of different pleco's and catfish, even the cherry shrimp thrive on the stuff. It's not the only thing I feed them, but it works well for me.

So I heard a lot about this food on another forum. One member was swearing up and down that this was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and that it was the only food your fish will ever need. So I did some research, checked out the website, checked out the price, and decided to try it. I've been feeding it to my fish for a few months now, and I've noticed the fish really like it, but I can't say that I've noticed a huge difference in appearance or size of my fish.

I've been doing a lot of browsing around here and haven't really noticed too much mention of the food around this site. I was just wondering what the general consensus of the food is around here. Is it the real deal or just another decent food?

I feed NLS and Omega One flakes and pellets and veggie rounds (for crawfish) and I can tell my fish are incredibly happy with it! I don't use, or condone the use of, color enhancing flake or pellet from any brand. Like I've said a bunch before if you feed your fish a good, healthy, varied diet there's no need for color enhances, they'll already naturally look great! Now you may not be able to see an immediate difference or much of one at all but believe me the internal difference is a huge one! It may take some time to notice a difference, it did with my Tiger Barbs but after a couple months on their new diet they got incredibly colorful (the other fish that accept flake too). I don't know that the food will necessarily help them grow or "make" them grow but having them on good foods that keep them healthy will inspire (or cause may be a better word) growth in the fish.

Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just like us variety is the spice of life. I agree with Bichir Bro. Also give them some frozen foods like brine shrimp and blood worms a couple of times a week. My Serpae tetras stay incredibly red with the variety and even spawn few times a year. OS.

It's to expensive and they have stopped selling the only pellet size I can use the 10mm mega pellet no idea why they have stopped selling it in the UK

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There's nothing nefarious to condemn with "color enhancing" foods. Typically it just means they've added (or increased the amount of) krill in their recipes. Krill in the diet tends to add a red pigment. They may also be adding/increasing spirulina algae to bring out the blues and greens. Nothing artificial is happening though.
Fun fact: Flamingos feed almost exclusively on krill and that's why they are pink. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A long time ago a vet told me to feed my cats a high quality food because they'd be healthier and they would eat and poop less. A lot of long term research about fat/protein/carb also led me to continue kitten food after the kitten phase. My cats had free access to food, are little, stayed lean and healthy, had clean teeth, and didn't poop much.

So I did a lot of research about fish food and wanted to do NLS too. I had a hard time finding it, Petco didn't have the .5mm ... I followed our local (and huge and famous) LFS's suggestion to feed Cobalt color enhancing flakes.

They were pretty good and my harlequins colored up well, but the tank was messy and I got a little algae.

After I switched to NLS Thera A .5 mm (tank full of small tetras, rasboras, danios, Otos, Pygmy loaches, ghost shrimp, and snails) ... Much cleaner tank and the rasboras colored up even more.

I just don't like their Betta pellets, they are too big. I'd choose one size smaller than you think you need.

I don't feed them anything else, and it's only been a few months but they all seem super healthy, water is great, nitrates low, I haven't lost a fish in this tank, and here is my tank bottom at least a month after my last gravel vac ... ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404065753.324827.jpg

I've fed strictly NLS with frozen/freeze-dried as treats for a while now. I was going to experiment with hikari/omega one (the only others I seen highly recommended on fish forums) but NLS has been great so far.

The only issue I've had lately was with my flowerhorn. He just refuses to eat the pellets. Even if they'll sit in the water for a while to soften up, he avoids them on purpose. I resorted to feeding him freeze dried krill and frozen mysis shrimp+bloodworms. Although, the other day I did drop in a Omega One veggie round and he tore it up, and it has similar ingredients to NLS cichlid formula, so I'm at a loss.

Back
Top Bottom