new loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fadetoblack06

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just picked up a new loach today and I do not know what kind it is. I picked it up from the local petco and they had it with the golden loaches as they called them and this one was different and I got them to sell him to me for $2 but I do not know what kind of loach it is.

He's way cool..... what size tank is he in and what else do you have in there?

Just a friendly reminder.... it's never a good idea to purchase a species when you a) don't know what it is, b) don't know if it's compatible with your existing species and c) don't know the tank size requirements it has.

Also, if you don't QT, you're putting your existing fish at jeopardy due to an impulse purchase. Not trying to be nasty, but being very realistic.

Looked at that loaches online site and the closest I found is Homaloptera gymnogaster(lizard loach). Homaloptera gymnogaster — Loaches Online

The picture there doesn't look that similar but googling Homaloptera gymnogaster showed up some very similiar images.

I may be wrong, but my best guess is that he is simply a different color variety of dojo loach. The Golden loach is a variety of the dojo, so it is quite possible that a different variety slipped in to their shipment.

I have a sucking loach, Gyrinocheilus aymonieri, who doesn't sport such a beautiful dorsal fin as yours. But his coloring is the same. You should look out for changing patterns in your loach. Mine surprised me by going from a diamond/checker pattern to a smooth green gray with a dark black racing stripe. He takes on that coloration when he is active, and it seems to mimic my siamese algae eater's coloration. The loach is a better algae eater than my 5 year old SAEater. Anyone else observe loach color changes?

possibly this species but loess of a solid stripe?
image_small
Pangio shelfordii — Loaches Online

Back
Top Bottom