new member with question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SarahKay_1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello... I have a preformed plastic pond in the back yard, but the neighbor dog keeps "swimming" in it and killing the fish. So I was wondering if it would be possble to turn a brick planter on my front porch into a container pond/garden with a few comets? If so, what type of liner would I use to keep the water in? Any advice would be very appreciated.

brick planter turned pond?

Has anyone ever used a brick planter or something similar as a container garden/pond? I have a preformed pond with heater, filter, plants, etc. that the neighbor dog continues to jump in, and I'd like transfer everything to the planter, but don't know how to line it. Can I just buy a liner? Do I have to seal the edge? Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks!!

What we do around here to keep the varmints and birds out of garden ponds is to use a netting over the top about 12" above the water, its clear you can still enjoy the fish but it will keep animals and larger debris out.

Also you can get a scent that will deter the dog far away from that pond, you might smell it at first but it will disipate enough for humans NOT to smell it.

Tell your neighbor to invest in a hidden fence. His dog might be good but since it can roam free its a liability.

you would get a cut to fit liner for koi pond, then line the top of the planter with another layer of bricks and put the liner lip under this layer to anchor it in place. If you use a liner like that, there will no seems to seal.

I`m going to move this to the pond forum. Not everyone comes to the welcome area. This forum is just for saying Hi and introduce yourself. Welcome to AA. I`ll move this to the proper area.

Do the liners just stretch? Because it seems like the water would leak out without some type of sealant. Forgive my newbie ignorance... :)

What we do around here to keep the varmints and birds out of garden ponds is to use a netting over the top about 12" above the water, its clear you can still enjoy the fish but it will keep animals and larger debris out.

Also you can get a scent that will deter the dog far away from that pond, you might smell it at first but it will disipate enough for humans NOT to smell it.

Tell your neighbor to invest in a hidden fence. His dog might be good but since it can roam free its a liability.

I do enjoy the fish, but I've talked to the neighbor, and without going into too many details, it's better to just move it.

Thanks.

If you have to move something on our land due to a neighbors encroachment, its not legal.

Any pond supply store has the netted covers. , id try the deterrent route, it works great and you can keep your land the way you want it.

Back
Top Bottom