The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kirky88

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
New member from Australia here, just set up my newest tank and rather excited about it all, my plans are for a community tank and also I'm making my attempt at a planted tank

Here's what it looks like thus far (still going through the cycling phase)

Attachments

• image-1562406449.jpg
    image-1562406449.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 143
Just added some more plants.......stock thoughts still deciding but things like swords plattys some blue and golden rams

Attachments

• image-3833624362.jpg
    image-3833624362.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 123
  • image-1980756662.jpg
    image-1980756662.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 109
  • image-3599849359.jpg
    image-3599849359.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 109
Looking good so far, careful with the Rams - don't tend to do well in new tanks, if you still decide on them do regular as hell water tests and keep an eye on there behaviour as they will let you know pretty quickly if something is up.

Kirky88 said:
Just added some more plants.......stock thoughts still deciding but things like swords plattys some blue and golden rams

Looks cool!

Ok so while my new setup is in the cycling phase my partner and I have gone round to a few aquariums and have asked about some of the more placid "community" fish so we have compiled a list of what we like and have each got a top 5, so if you can share your experience on works well that would be really helpful,

German blue ram
Bolivian butterfly cichlid
Neon blue ram
Golden rams
Angel fish
Neons & golden neons
Pakistani loach
Rainbow sharks- black & white
Bristle nose catfish- albino, normal
& peppermint
cory
Zebra danios
Black ghost knife fish
Golden white clouds
Plattys
Swordtails
Mollies

My top 5
German blue ram, neon blue ram, Bolivian butterfly, black ghost knife

Hers
The rams also, rainbow sharks and black ghost knife

Thoughts and opinions (tank is 85 gal(ish) 320litre)

All looks good except for the clowns which need 150 gals and BGKs which get somewhere in the range of 24-36" I believe( correct me if I'm wrong)
I dont know much about the pakistanis cant help there

Not sure of your tank size but clown loaches get huge so I would say no they also prefer a group of five or more

Edit: just saw the tank size and yeah that too small for them

Don't do the clowns - it will break your heart when you have to rehome them after a year or so, speaking from experience. I would also scrap the Knife fish, possibly replace with an Elephant nose if it's the black stand out colour your looking.

I would do a mix of Rams, don't let the colour of the Bolivians put you off in the pet store - always look so much better when they get settled and better community fish than the Germans, nice mix of Tetra, few Cory's - every tank needs Corys, you will love these guys.

Borderlesscott said:
I would do a mix of Rams, don't let the colour of the Bolivians put you off in the pet store - always look so much better when they get settled and better community fish than the Germans, nice mix of Tetra, few Cory's - every tank needs Corys, you will love these guys.

That's great to hear especially since my partner prefers the Bolivians, are they a little more forgiving on new tank setups than the gbr's?

Bolivians are far better for new set ups, though still not very forgiving if levels go up, they are hardier than most Germans.

Borderlesscott said:
Bolivians are far better for new set ups, though still not very forgiving if levels go up, they are hardier than most Germans.

Did you say that bolvians are better for new setups?

Back
Top Bottom