New member!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GankhisKhan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I live in Canada so everything is expensive.
I've had fish when I was younger, and I have a lot of time currently and would love to slowly build up a saltwater tank or a reef tank.
I still have my old 20 gallon tank, but I wanted to upgrade to something larger. Like a 55 gallon, and keep my old 20 gallon tank as a quarantine tank.

I keep reading about sumps and skimmers and I hardly remember anything about those and no local fish stores exist for me to ask questions. Online there aren't many questions answered other than "how to" and I'm looking for a personalized solution I suppose.

I'm not looking out to "cheap out" on this project, but I am looking to have a custom build (I like to do things. I am bored and need to work on another project and a constant project like this is perfect.)

The issue I have is, is that I want coral and many places I have looked mentioned to "require a sump". My problem is that I don't have space underneath the tank for a sump and the tanks that come with a sump attached in the back cost $1000+ at these sizes.

I've seen DIY sumps (outside of the tank) but I have no idea what size sump I would need for a 55 gallon. Seeing as how I can buy a 55 gallon used for $70-150. A 20 gallon for ~ $40-50. I can create a sump and a tank for much cheaper than an AIO tank that costs $1000+. (By a significant amount).

I have very many questions, but do not know where to direct them! I will start by reading the saltwater sticky on the forums. I would just love some feedback to see if my idea is crazy or not of having a main tank, and have a secondary tank beside as quarantine and a third tank behind as a sump.

Speaking of which. Do I need to have a quarantine tank running all the time?

Thanks for any help!

Your friendly "beginner"

Welcome back in

I've had salt tanks and reef tanks. I really like fresh now because of the intense amount of time and money the salt/reef tanks take. From experiences, do lots and lots of research. The sump is your biological, chemical, mechanical filtration. The skimmer is called a protein skimmer and is supposed to act like what happens on the shore when the waves break, it brings alot of gunk in the water to shore. Try a planted tank.

Back
Top Bottom