New nano tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcarola154

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so I'm away at college now... and I miss having my tanks around all the time. So Im strongly considering a Nano tank for my dorm. I dont want anything horribly fancy or expensive (I'm a college student aka: poor)

So what Ive been thinking about doing is making a 5-1/2 gallon tank with zoos and some softies, a couple inverts and maybe a small fish like a citrinis. As far as my fish goes, do you think it would be wise to keep a fish in the 5-1/2 gal? if so, any recommendations.

Filtration is one thing ive been unsure about. I have a bunch of LR rubble in my sump at home that im gonna steal, but as far as a powerhead or hob what would you recommend? Obviously, water changes are going to be common, i figure ill do about a gallon or two a week. (I go home on sundays and Im just going to fill a couple gallon jugs when i do waterchanges there)

For lighting Im looking at the coralife mini aqualight. that would put it around 3 watts a gallon, which isnt bad... but i might want more depending on the corals i decide to get. Is there anything else someone would recommend that isnt that expensive but might put it around 5 watts/gal?

Any input is appreciated! thannks in advance

Moved to Nano forum.

I dont have much experience with the Citron Goby, but from what I do know of them I think you'd be okay. Most gobies should be fine. You can check out the nano section of liveaquaria.com for more ideas.

Filtration, sounds like lots of liverock and some powerheads are a good idea. Do you use RO/DI or tap water at home?

For the light, how long is your tank? 20 inch? 18?

Sounds good...I would get a skilter and modify it with a limewood air stone, that way you have atleast a half way decent skimmer rather than none at all!

They are only 30$ online......check out my thread on how to do it.....and then fill the rest of the space with LR rubble!

Back
Top Bottom