new! Need help with sick fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black.moor.luver.mack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey yall. I'm new at this site and at having fish. I'm having troubles with my fish to they r sick and i dont know what to do. My male black moor seems better but i noticed he still has dicolored scales, my female on the other hand isnt so well i think one of her fins is either got fin rot or discolored fins and she has this white stuff attached to her right side of the mouth please help!

black.moor.luver.mack said:
Hey yall. I'm new at this site and at having fish. I'm having troubles with my fish to they r sick and i dont know what to do. My male black moor seems better but i noticed he still has dicolored scales, my female on the other hand isnt so well i think one of her fins is either got fin rot or discolored fins and she has this white stuff attached to her right side of the mouth please help!

Welcome Mack!

Yes, a bit more detail would help. Tank info (size, filter, etc), water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, etc.) Will help too. I have Moors and am going thru a med treatment right now.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Ok well like I said the female black moor has like this patch of stuff that's white covering around the month on most of the right side, I'd like to say some kind of fungus or bacteria. I'd also like to mention she litteraly sits on the bottom of the tank all day until feeding times them she swims around and eats. The very tip of her tail is like a rugged white patch! I think it's fin rot or just the fungus stuff it may be discoloration. The male nudges her around and used to follow her when she swam around. He us a little more swimy he likes to move around but I think he has the white stuff in his mouth but it cleared up and he still acts like it's there. (taking gulps all the time and not for eating.) is that a better description I'll send pictures when I have them on the computer. I've been doing 50%-75% water changes every day sometimes twice a day

Tomarrow I'm going to the store to get a water test kit....

Yes you should have a FW test kit. Liquid kits like API FW kit, not tests strips.

How many gallons is the tank ? Any other tank mates? Filter type/size?

Sent from my Epic 4G

Mr. Limpet said:
Yes you should have a FW test kit. Liquid kits like API FW kit, not tests strips.

How many gallons is the tank ? Any other tank mates? Filter type/size?

Sent from my Epic 4G

TANK: 10 gallons for now but planning on eventualy upgrading to 50

TANK MATES: yes he is a suckerfish for glass. He seems super skitish so I think he has ammonia poisening... My other fish died of ammonia poisening they died last week and they were a type of goldfish that I can't remember. (fingers crossed that these ones don't die)

FILTER BRAND: Aqua-tech

FILTER BRAND TYPE: a 5-15 gallon power filter with three stage filteration.
1. Blue polyfiber pad for screening dirt and debris
2. AQUA-Tech activated carbon which removes dissolved waste.
3. BIO-Fiber that eliminates ammonia and nitrite.

FILTER TYPE: motor-driven outside filter also knowen as the "piggie back" filter

TANK: 10 gallons for now but planning on eventualy upgrading to 50

TANK MATES: yes he is a suckerfish for glass. He seems super skitish so I think he has ammonia poisening... My other fish died of ammonia poisening they died last week and they were a type of goldfish that I can't remember. (fingers crossed that these ones don't die)

FILTER BRAND: Aqua-tech

FILTER BRAND TYPE: a 5-15 gallon power filter with three stage filteration.
1. Blue polyfiber pad for screening dirt and debris
2. AQUA-Tech activated carbon which removes dissolved waste.
3. BIO-Fiber that eliminates ammonia and nitrite.

FILTER TYPE: motor-driven outside filter also knowen as the "piggie back" filter

First off, a 10 gal tank isn't big enough for a Moor (any goldfish really) and I'm guessing that it's a young one (small) so plan on upgrading to that 50 gal soon enough.

Not sure without a specific name what you have for a tank cleaner, but some can get big and as I found out they can and will suck the slime from goldfish as food. You might want to rethink/rehome/retank that at some point.

Sounds like you're good on filtering, but get a test kit asap and check it daily and do PWC as needed.

Keep us updated and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Good luck!

Sent from my Epic 4G

I do have a question...
What does API FW stand for?
And thank you. You r very kind

API is a brand, FW is fresh water. Not the only one out there, but most people here use it for testing water parameters. Not sure where you're located, but walmart, petco & petsmart usually have them.

Google it to find a local seller.

Glad to help :)

Sent from my Epic 4G

Thank you mr limpet as soon ad my ride gets here we r heading to petsmart.
And what do u recomend for moor food

NLS Thera-A is really good stuff. I like to mix it up floating, sinking and sometimes flakes. Just remember goldfish can't have tropical fishfood. It's got too much protein for goldies.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Columnaris seems to be running rampant lately, and it would be better if people knew about it, so I am getting it out there.

Mr. Limpet said:
Meds can't hurt, but they're tricky and without knowing for sure, I can't really say.

Don't forget your water test kit :).

Sent from my Epic 4G

I got my kit and the people at petsmart helped me.... I got a natural med for them after about ten minutes they seemed to brighten upand swim around in so happy now..... I just need a bigger tank. :( need to start saving up

Back
Top Bottom