New Neons :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So yesterday was the day I went to a pet shop to get new fish.

Seen a dead fish and left only to find a better and cheaper LFS down the road :D

Got myself 5 new neon tetra for a nice price of 99p each or 5 for £4.50.

They are smaller than their new friends already in the tank and their colour isn't as bold (sure my food will boost that lol) but after they were netted and added the neons group in their 9 strong school.

After Christmas I will get 6 glow lights to bring them to 9 too.

I'll upload some pics later!

Disaster has struck!

The smallest of the new addition was sucked into the filter box of my rekord 600.

Dead before I could even try to free it I had to try and remove as much as I possibly could (60% from head back) so now I will have to keep a very close eye on my tank.

First to see if anyone is stuck and second to monitor ammonia as the small tail portion rots :(

RIP fishy :(

Ah no!! :( how did he fit into the filter??? Do you think you should get a sponge filter??????????

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ah no!! :( how did he fit into the filter??? Do you think you should get a sponge filter??????????

Well juwel tanks have built in boxes that have slats in them.

I assume he was investigating and got either sucker in or swam in an got stuck.

Another filter isn't viable for me ATM, I have blocked off the slats on that side (active tank side) with a terracotta pot and a few big rocks.

Hopefully the other will not stray to close :(

Hi well done firstly on getting a good deal(y),But what a shock with the poor little one getting sucked in:nono:. Could you place a finer mesh over the inlet? I have used gravel tidy's{Blimey does any one know what they are nowadays:oops:}or use an old net or something similar? Or as Nu nu the ell suggested a piece of sponge placed either on the inside or outside somehow?

stingrays4 said:
Hi well done firstly on getting a good deal(y),But what a shock with the poor little one getting sucked in:nono:. Could you place a finer mesh over the inlet? I have used gravel tidy's{Blimey does any one know what they are nowadays:oops:}or use an old net or something similar? Or as Nu nu the ell suggested a piece of sponge placed either on the inside or outside somehow?

Well I'm considering looking at leaving my net in there for now and finding a more permanent fix till they bulk up

I've had krib fry hang out on the filter without getting sucked in. Rarely does a healthy fish get sucked into the filter. Don't presume that's what happened.

LyndaB said:
I've had krib fry hang out on the filter without getting sucked in. Rarely does a healthy fish get sucked into the filter. Don't presume that's what happened.

Well it was a small fish and it could've happened too fast for it to react.

You said rarely not never lol, I inspected them for signs of illness and they had been in a QT tank in the pet store before I bought them

Heya! I know its a bit irrelevant but I have a story :) (sorry about my appalling grammar, I wrote it last night on a coach!)

Momma had her babies on Saturday! I actually watched them pop out! Awhh <3 I now have 14 little swimmers. I presume about 5 died? Here's what happened: I put momma into the box when I thought she was near. Expecting her to be stressed, but no! As soon as she was in: pop one came out! Catastrophe! The cutie swam through the V insert and straight through the breathing holes into the main tank! Luckily I had a bucket on standby so I threw momma in and more came out. I then attached a net and tape to the bottom of the box and put mum back into the box and in the main tank! Uhoh, box tipped over and out came mommy and a few babies. They got eaten but luckily I caught mum and put her back into the bucket where she finished birthing. Unfortunately I have no moss or spare pumps or filters so babies are in a small bucket near a radiator wrapped in a blanket. So far they are fine and happy! I swear momma platy got [mod edit] as soon as I put her back in! She was literally attacked by a male platy and chased into a cave! Anyway, 14 thriving bubbas and a happy momma.

Last edited by a moderator:
phoebekatee said:
Heya! I know its a bit irrelevant but I have a story :) (sorry about my appalling grammar, I wrote it last night on a coach!)

Momma had her babies on Saturday! I actually watched them pop out! Awhh <3 I now have 14 little swimmers. I presume about 5 died? Here's what happened: I put momma into the box when I thought she was near. Expecting her to be stressed, but no! As soon as she was in: pop one came out! Catastrophe! The cutie swam through the V insert and straight through the breathing holes into the main tank! Luckily I had a bucket on standby so I threw momma in and more came out. I then attached a net and tape to the bottom of the box and put mum back into the box and in the main tank! Uhoh, box tipped over and out came mommy and a few babies. They got eaten but luckily I caught mum and put her back into the bucket where she finished birthing. Unfortunately I have no moss or spare pumps or filters so babies are in a small bucket near a radiator wrapped in a blanket. So far they are fine and happy! I swear momma platy got [mod edit] as soon as I put her back in! She was literally attacked by a male platy and chased into a cave! Anyway, 14 thriving bubbas and a happy momma.

Haha thats awesomee! Super intense story ;)

Haha thanks it was literally the scariest time of my life! 3 days and all are happy in the little bucket :)

well I have a friend who has kept fish in a 55 gallon tote with a heater and pump because his tank cracked.

had them in there for nearly a year, maintained it the same as a tank with easy water changes as it had a tap near the bottom lol :)

No not forever, until they are big enough to not get eaten. Of course the bucket is by no means ideal, but I have NOWHERE else to put them and 'im not allowed another single fish item until christmas' -___- they arent eating though?

phoebekatee said:
No not forever, until they are big enough to not get eaten. Of course the bucket is by no means ideal, but I have NOWHERE else to put them and 'im not allowed another single fish item until christmas' -___- they arent eating though?

Well wilkos sells pretty big 55 litre clear plastic storage boxes that I think can hold water.

They would be suitable for now, pretty cheap and not a "fish" item either :p

Hi i agree with Scouser you really need to get some thing a little bigger at least,or failing that could you not partition the tank? An 18 x 12 x 12 {thats inches:lol:} would suffice,could you not plead its really imperative for the young to have a good temporary home for now:fish2: How are your fish doing Scouser?

stingrays4 said:
Hi i agree with Scouser you really need to get some thing a little bigger at least,or failing that could you not partition the tank? An 18 x 12 x 12 {thats inches:lol:} would suffice,could you not plead its really imperative for the young to have a good temporary home for now:fish2: How are your fish doing Scouser?

Fish are doing great :)

Moved the decor around to provide more hidden space for them to escape too, want some real plants soon but lack of funds may mean after Christmas for the earliest.

Unless there is someone on here who is in Scarborough (UK) and would like to donate clippings lol.

As you can see from the first pic the hiding space is working well, not a fish on sight :/ haha.

Attachments

• image-3195558740.jpg
    image-3195558740.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 55
  • image-951980695.jpg
    image-951980695.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom