New oscar help with tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Theresajeannine

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I have a new Oscar fish that I got from a friend who is moving and could not keep him. I defiantly didn't anticipate this much work, and while I own that, I am trying the best I can to give him the best quality of life!

He is in a tank about 35-40 gallons, with a Aqueon 75 filter, whisper 20 bubbler, and a Tetra preset heater. He is about 6-7 in long and is a beautiful fish . I don't think his previous owners took the best care of him. I hope they did not stunt his growth as he is 3 years old (about they said) and should be much larger I feel.

All his levels are fine (0ppm) , pH is under 8 and above 6, EXCEPT FOR NITRATE. My master test kit is giving me a reading of 80ppm which is 2x what it should be, I have heard of fish being ok in 100ppm but to me this is an EMERGENCY!! (This was on 2.10.16)

I immediately did a water change , using my gravel siphon took out about 40% of the water . Let the tank settle and retested. Got a similar reading to the first, a little bit better but not much.(2.11.16) I have seriously* slowed down on feeding , and will be doing another water change immediately upon returning from work, another 50% change.

He did just move in 9 days ago, when we moved the tank the filter stayed pretty wet, and we left about 1/6 of the water in there(water he was living in) . We put in freshwater that i added the Aqua prime too. It did only cycle for 15 minute before putting the fish in. I wonder if high nitrate is bc tank finishing up "cycling"? I also don't think she cleaned his tank enough or even tested the water. So could it be the build up of years of nitrate? I know this type of buildup can long term harm them w HITH , etc, and I want to know if I should get nitrate drops to reduce levels? The fish store I have around here is a family owned and I feel pretty trustworthy & a good place to go .

I know also helpful would be a bigger tank :( I'm in the market looking for one (first making sure I am right for this fish mommy thing!) before I commit to an 800$ set up.

Please any information is so helpful and ask me any questions you need!!! Thank you so much in advance .

P.s. I have a Pleco in there as well!! They get along fine :) Pleco seems happy.

I wouldn't worry too much unless the fish seem stressed. Take it slow with normal maintenance and feeding and let things settle for awhile.

Oscar and pleco in a 40 is going to need daily water changes. You have your hands full with this. First I would re home the pleco then try to find at least a 55 preferably a 75 for the O . They don't do well with high nitrates. I would try to keep it under 30 or even 20.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Doesn't that really depend on how big they are? For the time being, I mean...

A 3-year old Oscar should be over 10". High nitrates can stunt them like this. Having a pleco and an Oscar are going to make the nitrates build extremely fast. I agree 100% with Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I didn't realize we were talking about fish that big. How big is the Pleco?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Agree with Mike. "You're gonna need a bigger boat" if you catch my drift ;)

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom