New Paradise Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eja206

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
I have had my 45 litre tank set up for over 6 months. I have had 2 weather loaches in there for a while, and have just introduced 2 paradise fish. One is bullying the other, and the quiet one just sits around on the floor of the tank. It keeps its fins closed and looks dejected. I know you are not supposed to keep 2 males together, but i thought they were females as they weren't fighting in the fish store tank...
will they settle down? or will it be harrassed and look sorry for itself for ever?
Thanks, ellie xx

Do you have some places for them to hide? Some vertical plants - either real or plastic might help give the bullied one a break... Consider also getting a third or more - that may break up the 1 on 1 bullying which paradise fish seem to be prone to.

Male paradise fish will fight pretty much the same way as the dwarf gourami or the bettas, their close relatives. They are very territorial. They are best kept by themselves or with possibly larger tetras or maybe barbs but most barbs I have had been nippy. The one that is getting bullied will end up stressed and be susceptible to disease. A 46l tank is about 12 gallons so it is really to small for 2 paradise fish IMO.

Back
Top Bottom