New Planted Aquarium, need some pointers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright, i already have my completed 60. ready to try something new.

My twenty is just sitting here empty so i decided to do something with it. I bought Floramax substrate and got some liquid fertilizer. I have a nice peice of Malaysia driftwood that has bean soaking for a few weeks and is ready for this aquarium.

I want to start purchasing some plants like swords, grasses, other leafy plants, but i am concerned with my lighting. I curently have a full spectrum florecent, and i pretty sure it isnt going to be enouph. This is a 20 gallon standard aquarium. With that said, what wattage and type of bulb should i be looking into? Do i need to change the light fixture? Its not a problem to do so, just dont know what i need.:ermm: Also i am open to any and all advice, i have a master test kit, so i can frequently update on stats!

On a side note, i prematurly bought a pleco for this aquarium so he is living in the sixty gallon sitting on the bottom in a breeder. Just wanted to show him off because of how cool i think he would look in a planted aquarium, he is a Dwarf Clown Pleco. His tank mates will someday be 6-7 neon tetra's or cardinal tetra's and a Dwarf sunset guorami. He is only and inch long so im sure he will be fine in the double breeder for a day or two. :thanks:

About 2 watts per gallon so 40 watts per 20g should be sufficient..will you be using any sort of co2?

I was having trouble looking for a light that was small enouph to cover the 20g with that kind of output, they all seem to be around 18watts. To be fare, i am looking at a petsmart.
Have not concidered Co2 as i dont realy know how the system works, furthermore, this settup is my 1 year old's tank, and i am a little worried about using substances in it that could evaporate and hurt him when he is sleeping or napping. I will concider Co2 based on its safety as budget is not realy a problem. I live in the desert, so water evaporates quick here.

Check out eBay&amazon as you'll find lots of options for lighting..also co2 setups also sell on both sites&far as your child goes its a decision only you can make...better safe than sry...good luck with the tank..

Back
Top Bottom