New planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madgamer87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to this hobby and I have a 55 gal which has been running for 3 weeks I have had zebra danios(6) in there for 2 weeks and i just added 4 more danios, 5 neons and a java fern. I haven't done a wc, i was told every 4 weeks. I was also told it was ok to add the addition fish (all of which are small) and before going to bed one danio was swimming in the upper corner staying at the top of the water. I'm afraid it will be dead by morning. Any suggestions?

ForumRunner_20130126_234456.jpg

So you are doing a fish in cycle I see. You should do at least a 25% WC every week, not every 4 weeks my goodness lol. The fish maybe sick due to the cycle...is its gills a bright pink or red? What are your water parameters? For plants, what substrate, lighting, and ferts are you using?

The lower substrate is a normal fluorite substrate that you can get at any pet store, the upper is the black sand version of the same stuff. The lights are 2 18" plant bulbs that the local store sold me. They were 20$ and had 18k to 20k sun output.

I looked closely at him and didn't notice anything physically wrong, just observed behavior. Also I don't have fertilizer yet as I just put in the fluorite substrate (I don't need to add fert yet do I? ) I am using flourish exel as as a co2 replacement till I get a co2 tank.

Also I won't be able to check the water till morning as my sister in law is visiting and sleeping out there

Hmmm alright...does the lighting go the full length of the tank? That's is low lighting so you could grow the low light plants, which In my latest planted 60g (link is in the sig) I ordered all my plants from AquariumPlants.com and I
Was very pleased with what I got. From the thread, you can see just how good the plants look. They do have a low light package you can order also

The light does go to the bottom even in between the rocks(accept where there is over hang). I was looking at azgardens until I saw the comments and was unsure of any other website after that.

I think my aquarium looks dark because I'm using a black background with dark substrate and rocks.

The light may reach the bottom but it's still going to grow the lower light plants the best IMO...someone else have advice? I'm not that great on lights yet lol. What was wrong with azgardens? Im curious :lol:

Mostly people not being able to get a hold of them, doa's, weak/sick plants and livestock, wrong items wo refund. Just google azgardens and you will find plenty of complaints.

The one fish didn't make it, did a wc and the rest of the inhabitants seem to be happy. But they should be happy, only 14 fish all under an inch in a 55 gal setup. Also for some reason when I attach a pic its not showing up does someone know why?

ForumRunner_20130127_083015.jpg

I see a pic.
Sorry you lost a fish.

Can you take a pic or write what is written on your Plant lightbulbs ?

20K sounds wrong. Most plant lights are near 6,500K.
10,000K is more for saltwater.

Was it 20 watts ?

I would add lots of easy low light plants to suck up ammonia and help the fish feel safe.

Test your water and please post results.

Back
Top Bottom