new planted tanks - algae help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spencermjax

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first post after gathering a lot of great information from this site. I offer my appreciation ahead of time for any help offered.

I have 2 newly planted tanks and i am new to the hobby. I seem to have some algae issues and wondered if anyone could identify they type of algae I may have, possible reasons and possible solutions. If and identification is all I get, that is just fine because i realize there could be any number of reasons for them.

Tank1: 10 gallon, only neon tetras and a couple otocats. Water is about 78 degrees and is very clear but one plane is getting some brown, fuzzy algae on one plant. it is easy to wipe off with my fingers

Tank2: 30 gal, 10 fish, 3 CAE, 2 pieces of driftwood. have some stringy algae on the glass and i can wipe the strings away but hard stuff remains, withour hard scrubbing. also have brown algae one one plant similar to the 10 gal tank. two other algae found as well.

both tanks have CaribSea FloraMax substrate, I have dosed daily with liquid co2, weekly with liquid plant fertilizer, lighting is about 12 hours a day. 30 gal tank (tall) has Zoo Med AquaSun T-5 HO Double Light and 10 gal tank has standard hood/lighting.

image #1 - stringy algae on glass
image #2 - brown algae on portions of this plant. easy to wipe off with fingers. found in tank1 and tank2
image #3 - most of the moss on this wood does not look like this. this is the only on a small portion of it.
image #5 - moss/algae growing on driftwood...good or bad?

Attachments

• photo_2.jpg
    photo_2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 37
  • photo_3.jpg
    photo_3.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 35
  • photo_4.jpg
    photo_4.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 38
  • photo_6.jpg
    photo_6.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 35
First of all 12 hours of light is too long. Try reducing the photoperiod to 7 to 8 hours max. Liquid co2? You mean liquid carbon like excel.. This certainly helps. Brown algae is actual diatoms. They subside on their own once the silicates are depleted by them. You can also scrub then away with your weekly PWC's. Otos and nerites love to eat them too. Stringy algae could be hair algae.. Fuzzy stuff is probably BBA. I found got hair algae when my phosphates were high. Manual removal with a toothbrush worked coupled with water changes, reduced lighting, and excel. BBA can be spot treated with hydrogen peroxide using a syringe. The dosage escapes me, but google it unless someone can chime in.

Back
Top Bottom