New platy very fat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AG52014

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a new platy on Thursday and till now it was looking fine but now it is starting to go to the bottom and looks like it is looking down into the gravel .. (It doesn't do it all the time but the last few hours a lot more)
It is eating fine.
It is rather big too but it was like that when I bought ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388868564.972245.jpgit, is this fish stressed or something... Or is it pregnant?
And if so to any , what can I do to help?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388868336.717304.jpg

Its not clear in the pics what could be wrong, as the fish is too far away from the cam, and bad angle. But from size, Id rule out pregnant just because it still looks quite young, though i could be wrong. It sounds more like bloat. If you can get some better shots, it would be easier to tell. It could also be dropsy. Do any of the scales on the side kind of stick out?

Well I went to work today and came back and the fish was thin again. It's swimming around normal again. Maybe it was bloated like you said. Is this down to overfeeding?
How many times and how much should you feed them?
I have 3 danios and 2 platys?

Yes bloat is a cause of over feeding and I've seen it brought on by stress as well. Al you need is a very small pinch of food. Try looking around in the bottom of the tank, especially around plants or anywhere a fish can hide and see if you see any babies. Like I said, I could be wrong and it may have been pregnant. But I'm happy to hear it's thinned back down either way

And with that many fish id feed that pinch once a day. Observe them during the first couple feeding a, if you notice they all aren't able to eat off that pinch you can go to twice a day

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom