New Pond ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking into building a pond either this fall or next spring. I live in Nebraska so it will need to be able to make it through the winters.

I would love to have a koi or 2 but everything I'm am reading says they need 1,000 gallon minimum.

I have to a lot of questions and ideas but wanted to get as much information as I can before I start.

Is it better to use the pre-formed liners or the tarp liner??? I have seen the pre-formed liners as big as 250 gallon. Is this a good size??

What kind of fish can I get ?? Koi, gold fish, turtles. ??? What kind of fish are hardy, cool looking, and will work in my pond????

I wouldn't mind having a water fall of some kind.

Like I said I am totally new to ponds so any information I can get will be great and I'm sure it will spark lots and lots of questions.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Happy to help you get started in the right direction! Research and asking lots of questions will help make this project much easier and result in a much happier outcome.

So, let's start with the weather in your area. How are your winters? Cold (32f or less)? Freezing (single digits or below 0f)? Snowy? What about summers? Heatwaves (90+f)? High humidity or dry? Weather is a huge factor in pond design as weather extremes are easier to manage with a deep inground pond. Managing weather extremes will to ensure your fish can survive the seasons.

My area is a good example. This past winter, we had record cold and snow (that never seemed to end...). The worst I have ever encountered living here for almost two decades. When I spoke to various pond suppliers this past spring (on my annual search for interesting plants), every single place said that 90-95% of their customers lost every single one of their fish. Completely preventable? No, but planning ahead can minimize what winter or summer may bring. Anyway, enough stories- please ask questions!!! :)

In Nebraska we can see very cold snowy weather or very hot humid weather.

Is it better to use the pre formed liner or the tarp liners? Will I need a filter or pump or fountain ???? I know i will need a de-icer for the winters.

Dear Velksfish,
250 gal preformed is not large enough for a koi--they grow easily to 24"-36" inches. But you could do about 3-5 common or comet or shurbukin goldfish. They require at least 50 gallons per and grow to about a foot.

It is not as easy I think to put in a preformed pond into the ground as making one out of liners--I know because I did the preformed and helped a friend do the liner type. With a preformed one, one must dig very precisely to get it level and fit the contours. The liners are more forgiving. Get the best quality of preformed or liner that you can. Both only last so many years. Home Depot and Lowes both have DYI books for ponds that are helpful guides.

Waterfalls or Fountains both pump driven provide aeriation which koi and goldies need. The most important thing though is your filter(s). Both koi and goldies are messy and both mechanical and biological filtering are necessary. Similar parameters as with an aquarium hold--10 X gallons per hour is the preferred amount for goldies. So invest in the best filter(s) you can afford.

UV light/filter really does work if one wishes to have clear water--fish although love the pea green water.

Plants help but the smaller the pond the harder to plant in pots.

Having weathered 5 winters in Upstate NY, I have learned not to trust deicers/heaters in winter--too many things can happen. Luckily the year I used a deicer I also had a pump going and that saved the fish. Now I keep two pumps going--no fountain, no waterfall just the pumps recirculating the water-- to keep a hole in the ice and everyone has been fine.

Hope this helps.
Chris

Dear Velksfish,
250 gal preformed is not large enough for a koi--they grow easily to 24"-36" inches. But you could do about 3-5 common or comet or shurbukin goldfish. They require at least 50 gallons per and grow to about a foot.

It is not as easy I think to put in a preformed pond into the ground as making one out of liners--I know because I did the preformed and helped a friend do the liner type. With a preformed one, one must dig very precisely to get it level and fit the contours. The liners are more forgiving. Get the best quality of preformed or liner that you can. Both only last so many years. Home Depot and Lowes both have DYI books for ponds that are helpful guides.

Waterfalls or Fountains both pump driven provide aeriation which koi and goldies need. The most important thing though is your filter(s). Both koi and goldies are messy and both mechanical and biological filtering are necessary. Similar parameters as with an aquarium hold--10 X gallons per hour is the preferred amount for goldies. So invest in the best filter(s) you can afford.

UV light/filter really does work if one wishes to have clear water--fish although love the pea green water.

Plants help but the smaller the pond the harder to plant in pots.

Having weathered 5 winters in Upstate NY, I have learned not to trust deicers/heaters in winter--too many things can happen. Luckily the year I used a deicer I also had a pump going and that saved the fish. Now I keep two pumps going--no fountain, no waterfall just the pumps recirculating the water-- to keep a hole in the ice and everyone has been fine.

Hope this helps.
Chris

I figured it was to small for Koi. But that is really about all I have size for.
Thanks for the info. I definitely plan on getting a filter and a pump. Doing a waterfall would just be bonus

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom