New powerhead question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Will a powerhead in a 20 gallon standard be too much water movement? I have neon tetras and Cory catfish, also I'm getting some red cherry shrimp on tues. If it's too much is there any way to lower the circulation.

Atxpunx said:
Will a powerhead in a 20 gallon standard be too much water movement? I have neon tetras and Cory catfish, also I'm getting some red cherry shrimp on tues. If it's too much is there any way to lower the circulation.

Depends on the powerhead. What's its flow rate?

It's an aqua-tech 170 gph powerhead. I was think of maybe filling the intake with Polyfil maybe?

Atxpunx said:
It's an aqua-tech 170 gph powerhead. I was think of maybe filling the intake with Polyfil maybe?

It should be fine without it but if your fish do seem irritated by it, stuff it with something like you said.

I am not sure what you mean by filling the intake with polyfil...I would think the suction of the powerhead would just pull the polyfill into the workings of the PH, and eventually jam things up. Maybe I am misunderstanding something there.

As an alternative, put a filter sponge over the intake, or aim the outflow at the nearest wall. Also, they do make adjustable powerheads.

Yeah I ended up wrapping a sponge around the intake. I tried to cut to fit but ended up wrapping the entire sponge around the intake to slow down the flow.

Back
Top Bottom