New Purchase - Flame Dwarf Gourami - In QT with issues?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SolvingNormal

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone...

This is my first post, though I've been lurking for a while now. Long enough that my fiancee knows of you all as "the people on the board."

I just purchased a DG who has been in QT since his arrival, prior to entering the main tank. He's the only occupant, save a few molly fry I gave him for hunting. (Sorry molly breeders.)

To answer the standard questions...

---

1. What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

A recently (within 1 week) acquired Flame DG from a LFS. He appears, upon closer inspection, to be missing scales around his operculum and on top of his head. He also seems to have some redness where his left fin meets his body. No other obvious maladies. He seems to mostly stay on the bottom of the tank, and isn't interested in eating either the molly fry (the main reason for acquiring him!) or either flake or pellet food. He picks at it, but mostly leaves it.

2. What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
0,0,<5,76ºF, 7.6

3. How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
The tank is 5 gallons. It is a temporary QT tank using established filter medium from the main tank.

4. What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

AquaClear 20 Power Filter. Up to 100 gph (adjustable). HOB, with media basket. Bottom: sponge included; middle: filter floss from established canister; top: fluval biomax from established canister

5. How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

See #1

6. When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel?

There is no substrate in my QT tank. Currently treating with MelaFix, so doing a water change after 7 days. On day 3 of treatment.

How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

Generally all tanks get 50% weekly.

7. How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Drip acclimation

8. Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

No

9. What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

See #1

---

I've uploaded four photos taken under brief anesthesia. (He's fine and again swimming and breathing both through his gills and at the top.) Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's worth it because the photo quality was horrid. The tall, skinny photo sort of shows the discoloration on the top of his head There's no flash or single light source, so the color change is all him. The first and third photo show the darkness running alongside (upward) on his operculum on each side. Looking at it, it seems to be into his scales.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 74
I would give him time. Monitor his condition closely for the next few days, and hope for the best. It appears as though your LFS did not treat him well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom