New rainbows super small

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I went black Friday shopping I went to a new fish store that has super high ratings but they don't quarantine , I don't have a qt tank set up and there's no way to get one ready as I bought 6, I was told just to add them in my main as my tank isn't really stocked much and just watch for ich per temperature adjustment and treat if I see symptoms, and I got prazi pro to dose my tank with anyways, I have not heard of these rainbows before but maybe you all can give me some insight on what to look for with their coloring, what I should watch out for because I have no option but to put them in my main tank but will set up A qt asap new rainbows are
Kangaroo creek, parva, chilantherina sentaniensis and herbertaxelrodi
I bought sponges to go over my filter inlets as these fish are ultra small

Rick
Rainbows in general are pretty durable and disease resistant. Their ancestors came from a very rough part of the world where hot auatralian droughts and New Guinea floods forced them to be very adaptable. You keep a very clean display tank, likely no problems.
I went black Friday shopping too at a neighboring towns PetSmart. I resisted buying a beautifully marked baby Flowerhorn marked way down. Thank goodness my wife was with me. Walked away with only a big sized can of omega one color flakes.
Post pics of your new Rainbows when you can.

I have them in lunars atm to keep the stress down but I have a video of them in the lunars, you won't be able to see their color, I was told to keep them under the lunars over night. I don't know how long I should keep them in the dark or even if I should have the lunars on?

They are in my tank with only the lunars on dim, all fish are cool hanging with the bigger ones except the super small kangaroo creeks they are at the top hiding, is this normal?

UPDATE, my irani red is a jerk lol won't leave what I'm assuming is a female alone

Another update, the kangaroo creek are cold water rainbows:( does this mean I cannot keep them as it says from the limited info I can find on them the recommended temp is 20°celcius which is 68° fareignheight, my tanks 77°, a lot of the ones I got aren't suited for my tank :( unless the information I'm reading on the net is what they live in when it comes to the wild, I didn't know these were endangered either kinda bummed out.

Cost wise wasn't too bad I got 6 bows 2 filter sponges and a piece of Malaysian Driftwood and two doses of prazi pro for $50.00

Make sure you change the quality of the video to 720 or higher it should be 1080 but YouTube took away 1080 for mobile devices but it will be 1080 on a computer.
https://youtu.be/4esOf037utQ

Turned the light on for a a min to get some pics I think they're all female[emoji34] here's a imgur link so the pics are as clear as possible, I do have my neo diffuser going on full that's all the bubbles you see in the images, look at how vibrant my irani red is he glows.
Rainbows 2 https://imgur.com/gallery/SnQ51

I agree, you did score big for 50 bucks. I use Maylasian in my display tank. The Rainbows look healthy, looking forward to seeing them colored up. Don't worry too much about the cold water issue. I kept Odessa Barbs, in a warm tank with no problems. Odessa's have a similar cold water preference. Your new Rainbows were probably bred in a Florida fish farm. Likely
Already used to warm water. Use your best judgement about when to revert back to normal lighting. If I recall correctly, No real aggression threat in your tank. Things should level out quickly.

I agree, you did score big for 50 bucks. I use Maylasian in my display tank. The Rainbows look healthy, looking forward to seeing them colored up. Don't worry too much about the cold water issue. I kept Odessa Barbs, in a warm tank with no problems. Odessa's have a similar cold water preference. Your new Rainbows were probably bred in a Florida fish farm. Likely
Already used to warm water. Use your best judgement about when to revert back to normal lighting. If I recall correctly, No real aggression threat in your tank. Things should level out quickly.
My irani red is being a jerk, the super small kangaroo creeks are staying at the top, he keeps going and nudging them or swimming fast past them, I'm worried I'm gonna wake up and find them dead like i did with the dwarfs from my turquoise that just recently died that killed them, these fish are bred locally the guy told me as all or most of the fish farms in Florida are closed because of the hurricane, I guess he's been getting rainbows from the same guy here in Michigan for a long time, my lfs I normally go to had absolutely no rainbows out of stock on a lot of fish , no plants.. they said because the farms are closed, how long does it take them to color up a bit I know they are still super young I'm guessing about a week or 2?
What I don't get it is I have so many hiding spots why do they stay at the top and play in the filter current! Why dont they listen to me when I tell them to go to the bottom and chill out ugh [emoji23][emoji23]

Its good that your rainbows are from a local breeder as to avoid differences in water parameters. I think you might be getting bad info reference the Florida fish farms. My LFS recently special ordered Red Texas Cichlids from Seagress farms for me. I believe Petsmart gets their Red Texas and Flowerhorns from the same place. Petsmart's tanks last night were packed full, including rainbows.
It's probably already cold in your area. Fish shipments sometimes slow down in cooler parts of the country to avoid losses.

All fish are doing great, just woke them up, the super little Chilatherina sentaniensis are actually swimming with the other rainbows now, or r they might be the kangaroo creeks, I'm not sure of which is what as they all have the same color right now lol
From what I can tell as them being so small I have 5 males 4 females

Good luck with the new fish. They don't look so much small as your other bows look very healthy and happy.
This happens if I add fish to my display tank .I just added 10 more lemon tertas to the school of 14+ in my 180g.They are probably the same size as when I got my original lemons. Only the original lemons have been with me in a larger tank for some time.
I am sure the rainbows will grow with their potential quickly in your tank.
Your tank does look nice and I spy your lemon tetras also !(y)

Good luck with the new fish. They don't look so much small as your other bows look very healthy and happy.
This happens if I add fish to my display tank .I just added 10 more lemon tertas to the school of 14+ in my 180g.They are probably the same size as when I got my original lemons. Only the original lemons have been with me in a larger tank for some time.
I am sure the rainbows will grow with their potential quickly in your tank.
Your tank does look nice and I spy your lemon tetras also !(y)
Yeah i have to up the lemons from 6-10/12 as well as my candy canes so they come out more, these fish are ultra juvenile well the 2 kangaroo creeks are the smallest can barely see them in the pic lol , my camera is to high quality to upload pics on here on my Lowest setting 9mp the file is still 450kb, and I can't compress it or you can't see the pic, also it's hard to get a picture of these very fast lil guys so I took a video instead.

https://youtu.be/k05LjE1CXxc

Off topic most of these fish won't eat my Cobalt spirluna flake anymore, could it be stale as it's a big container and have had it a while? Or are they just bored with the same food, what would you recommend food wise as I want the best for them?

IS2ZE2p.jpg

ZXSpRBF.jpg

gEQYEqR.jpg

4LRHJvC.jpg

ZI0JkA1.jpg

So I was looking up these species of rainbows and they are different to sex compared to say a boseman/irani red, like the crimson spotted rainbows aka kangaroo creek, and the chilatherina sentaniensis aka sentani as their dorsal finds don't actually over lap, I know these guys /girls are still super young so it's gonna be a few weeks before they show colors, stripes, body style etc etc, but my question is what if I have all males or what if I have 6 females and 2 males, what do I do? I mean I could possibly try to take them back in exchange for a few more males or visa versa but wouldn't it be better to have more females than males? Like 2:1 im not trying to breed them so 1:1 should be okay.

Back
Top Bottom