New reading help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steo the great said:
Yeah that's what I thought Chris. The readings I got from my new tank were as follows,
Ammo-4
NitrIte-5
NitrAte-40-80
Any ideas on what I should try with this tank?

Ammo and nitrite :( I think Eco or someone with more knowledge about cycling would be able to tell u more about the results.

Steo the great said:
Yeah that's what I thought Chris. The readings I got from my new tank were as follows,
Ammo-4
NitrIte-5
NitrAte-40-80
Any ideas on what I should try with this tank?

Hang on, I'm officially lost now. Those readings are from the tank you've had cycling, or the tank the goldfish were in. If it was the goldfish tank, when were the tests taken? When it had fish in it?

eco23 said:
Hang on, I'm officially lost now. Those readings are from the tank you've had cycling, or the tank the goldfish were in. If it was the goldfish tank, when were the tests taken? When it had fish in it?

I k ow very complicated now with the 2 but on this thread I'll try use. The goldfish tank.
And they were from the goldfish tank?
Thanks Eco.

Steo the great said:
I k ow very complicated now with the 2 but on this thread I'll try use. The goldfish tank.
And they were from the goldfish tank?
Thanks Eco.

Right...but was that the reading before you brought the tank home and it had fish in it? Or have you already cleaned and refilled it and that's the level now?

eco23 said:
Right...but was that the reading before you brought the tank home and it had fish in it? Or have you already cleaned and refilled it and that's the level now?

I have a bucket full of the original water to keep the filter media and things in it. And I just took the readings from that. The actual aquarium has nothing in it?

And it's no been cleaned yet.
Cheers

eco23 said:

Hahaha I thought I understood where we was but now I'm confused 2 hahaha, I think the results are from before he cleaned and refilled with the little bit of water that was left in the tank. lol

Good lord. First thing I would do is call the previous owner and tell them they have no business of owning any type of pet...ever.

Some of this really doesn't add up. The 4ppm ammo and 5 no2 looks like an uncycled tank...but the nitrAte shows there was conversion. Also, if the tank had been stocked and they hadn't done a water change in 6 months...the nitrAtes should be absolutely through the roof unless the tank was heavily planted...and they're not that high. The numbers basically look like they were in the middle of cycling.

It's really gonna be up to you. If in your opinion the tank was disease free (which I'd have my doubts about it's health), you can use the old media to help add bacteria to yours, or use it to help cycle the new one you're about to set up. It's your call...personally I'd just consider it a new tank and start from scratch with it, but that's your call.

eco23 said:
Good lord. First thing I would do is call the previous owner and tell them they have no business of owning any type of pet...ever.

hahaha agreed! I'd do that steo and start from scratch you don't wanna run the risk of cycling the tank and putting fish in it for them to catch a disease, better safe than sorry.

My comments in blue.....

Agreed, that's just awful. Did you say they are definitely getting rid of the goldfish to an LFS? I really hope so. They had a 14 gal tank before (54 liters) and they were getting a smaller one, for goldfish? And hadn't changed water in 6 months?! I really do hope they rehome those poor fish. If they haven't, I hope you can help properly educate them on how to care for those poor fish.

Some of this really doesn't add up. The 4ppm ammo and 5 no2 looks like an uncycled tank...but the nitrAte shows there was conversion. Also, if the tank had been stocked and they hadn't done a water change in 6 months...the nitrAtes should be absolutely through the roof unless the tank was heavily planted...and they're not that high. The numbers basically look like they were in the middle of cycling.

It's really gonna be up to you. If in your opinion the tank was disease free (which I'd have my doubts about it's health), you can use the old media to help add bacteria to yours, or use it to help cycle the new one you're about to set up. It's your call...personally I'd just consider it a new tank and start from scratch with it, but that's your call.

Again I agree here. Given the state their tank was in, I wouldn't risk it. I'd clean the tank itself and get everything else new and start over. Good luck.

eco23 said:

Well I know nothing. So I'll go with whatever you say. So I'll just go and clean everything including the filters. With tap water?
And I've found out now the tank has been running only since march.
And the water has been changed twice in that time. But probably had no dechlorinator or anything in it. Because they said they were told to just change it that way by the lfs.

librarygirl said:
My comments in blue.....

No the tank was about a 25 gallon. And were going to move it to about a 14 gallon. But I told them to just give them to the local pet store so they have now. It's already done?

And I'm gonna clean it now and start again if I clean the ornaments will that remove the disease and be ok for use.

Try and find out if any of the fish have been sick or if some in the tank have died. I'd be very nervous about using media from any tank which was as poorly cared for as that one...but it's also a sin to throw away healthy :bb: (< I like that :) ). If you have any doubts, don't use it and start fresh. You're also getting some very conflicting info from that person...so I'd personally question everything they say.

As for cleaning...research some different methods online. Some use ammonia to clean (which you just so happen to have ;) ), or you can also use a mild bleach solution. I believe the ratio is 20 parts water to 1 part bleach. Obviously be sure to rinse it extremely well and use a strong dose of dechlorinator when you fill it. Just don't let detergent anywhere near the tank.

eco23 said:
Try and find out if any of the fish have been sick or if some in the tank have died. I'd be very nervous about using media from any tank which was as poorly cared for as that one...but it's also a sin to throw away healthy :bb: (< I like that :) ). If you have any doubts, don't use it and start fresh. You're also getting some very conflicting info from that person...so I'd personally question everything they say.

As for cleaning...research some different methods online. Some use ammonia to clean (which you just so happen to have ;) ), or you can also use a mild bleach solution. I believe the ratio is 20 parts water to 1 part bleach. Obviously be sure to rinse it extremely well and use a strong dose of dechlorinator when you fill it. Just don't let detergent anywhere near the tank.

I know but sure I'll have some healthy media soon from my fishless tank hopefully. And that will boost it there'll be no rush so I'll just clean everything in ammonia. And the eventually I'll be making so :bb: lol.

Steo the great said:
I know but sure I'll have some healthy media soon from my fishless tank hopefully. And that will boost it there'll be no rush so I'll just clean everything in ammonia. And the eventually I'll be making so :bb: lol.

This will all be worth it in the end believe me, I waited 50days for my fishless cycle to finish, and you know how much I go on about my tank at night lol.

Chris22 said:
This will all be worth it in the end believe me, I waited 50days for my fishless cycle to finish, and you know how much I go on about my tank at night lol.

Hahaha I sure do I'm sure your girlfriend has stopped hating you now that you have actual fish haha. Cause mine hates me.

Steo the great said:
Hahaha I sure do I'm sure your girlfriend has stopped hating you now that you have actual fish haha. Cause mine hates me.

Yeah she has but I had to let her choose a schooling fish lol, let ur gf do the same and you'll be back in her good books. Lol

Hi again. Havethe new tank running now? Just addded the ammo for the first time. Better be good lol. Heres a starter pic

Attachments

• image-1798824978.jpg
    image-1798824978.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 51
Hey just a quick update. I've been dosing my tank up to four now for the last 2 weeks and tonight the ammo had dropped to 0 but with the nitrites I never seen them rise and yet the nitrates are up to the 80's.
If the ammo dropped tomorrow to 0. Do you think it's cycled?
Thanks

Steo the great said:
Hey just a quick update. I've been dosing my tank up to four now for the last 2 weeks and tonight the ammo had dropped to 0 but with the nitrites I never seen them rise and yet the nitrates are up to the 80's.
If the ammo dropped tomorrow to 0. Do you think it's cycled?
Thanks

So your dosing the tank up to 4 every day, it drops to zero, no2 , and the nitrAtes are steadily rising? If so, yep :). (tank looks awesome btw)

If you've only dosed the tank up to 4ppm once and it's dropped to zero...that would be a different issue potentially.

eco23 said:
So your dosing the tank up to 4 every day, it drops to zero, no2 , and the nitrAtes are steadily rising? If so, yep :). (tank looks awesome btw)

If you've only dosed the tank up to 4ppm once and it's dropped to zero...that would be a different issue potentially.

Hey no it didnt change for the first week the every 3 days and then last night it dropped from 4 to 0 so I'll check again tomorrow. But never seen nitrites. But hadn't been testing everyday?

Oh and thanks about the tank.

Back
Top Bottom