new readings in fishless/fish cycle...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so about a week ago I started my fish less cycle (1 filter had used media in it already) since then I added a few fish in, tested the water, everything was normal and ammonia had risen a little bit.

2 days later I added several other fish, tested water again.. pH has been fluctuating but all n all its okay, ammonia is now up to .50ppm. (API master test kit)

I'm going to go home today and test again but when should i consider doing a water change??

If you've got any ammonia reading, do a water change.

I agree, you added too many fish too soon.

If you start a tank with seeded media, the bacteria level is only good for the amount of bioload that media was seeded with. If you add fish too soon, the bacteria can't keep up and you hit a mini-cycle.

LyndaB said:
If you've got any ammonia reading, do a water change.

I agree, you added too many fish too soon.

If you start a tank with seeded media, the bacteria level is only good for the amount of bioload that media was seeded with. If you add fish too soon, the bacteria can't keep up and you hit a mini-cycle.

Oops :/ so i should do a water change now??

jlk said:
You added too many fish too quickly and now your beginning a fish-in cycle. Please check out the following links:

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/132/1/Fish-in-Cycling-Step-over-into-the-dark-side/Page1.html

edit- second link didnt work, hopefully it does now!

Just read both articles! Thanks for the great information! Guess ill start my daily water changes and testing :)

Quick question tho, im using the Aqueon water changer, what would be a good way to dechlorinate the tap water going back into the tank?? Its a 180 gallon tank

Quick question tho, im using the Aqueon water changer, what would be a good way to dechlorinate the tap water going back into the tank?? Its a 180 gallon tank

I'm also a newbie, doing a fishless cycle currently but I had the same question cause i have purchased a python to do my water changes. Don't quote me on the this but I was told you can 1 of the following:

#1 dose the remaining water in the tank with the declorinator and then fill (not recommended)
#2 pour the declorinator in the stream from the Aqueon water changer as you begin to fill you tank back up.
#3 fill a small pitcher or container with water and add dose of declorinator (enough for your entire tank, so dose for the full ammount of water even though you are only replacing a % of it) and then swish it around to mix it in and then pour this into the tank either befor you start to fill or at the same time you start to fill and mix in it with the stream from the water changer

But it is important to always dose the tank for the full amount of water and to do it right from the start of your refilling the tank as any chlorine from tap water will kill off your bacteria that has started to grow and may stall your cycle.

I have the Aqueon too, great little thing! I drain however much water I want or need and then shut the siphon off, then dose the tank with dechlorinator (dose enough for the whole volume of the tank, whatever it says on the bottle, don't just dose for the water you are refilling so dose enough for the 180 gals), then start to refill.

librarygirl said:
I have the Aqueon too, great little thing! I drain however much water I want or need and then shut the siphon off, then dose the tank with dechlorinator (dose enough for the whole volume of the tank, whatever it says on the bottle, don't just dose for the water you are refilling so dose enough for the 180 gals), then start to refill.

Awesome, okay I have another question, I went out and bought "Start Zyme" tablets for bacteria. Since I didn't let my tank development enough bacteria before adding fish, should i throw them in before or after I change water??

LyndaB said:
Don't bother with those tablets, toss them in the trash.

Or return them :) so should i just keep up on water changes and testing and let my tank generate its own bacteria??

So i just did a 20-25% water change last night and today I tested again and the only thing that changed was the High Range pH, from 8.0 to 7.8. Ammonia is still at 1ppm, nitrite & nitrate still at 0ppm. Should i continue doing 20% water changes or just do one massive 50-60% water change???

I would do 50% water changes daily until you see that ammonia go down to 0.

Also, keep in mind that if you do your readings without waiting 24 hours after adding a dechlorinator, you could get false readings.

LyndaB said:
I would do 50% water changes daily until you see that ammonia go down to 0.

Also, keep in mind that if you do your readings without waiting 24 hours after adding a dechlorinator, you could get false readings.

Ahh very true. Thanks

So once the ammonia goes down to 0ppm, the nitrates should jump up right??

No, the ammonia converts to nitrItes which then convert to nitrAtes.

Nitrites are also very harmful to your fish, so you will have to continue the water changes.

Try to keep feeding to a minimum and it will help you cycle more easily.

Ahh very true. Thanks

So once the ammonia goes down to 0ppm, the nitrates should jump up right??

The part of the cycle where you grow the bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate takes (on average) much longer than the initial phase where you grew a supply of bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite. So you might not see a significant level of nitrate for quite awhile, but your nitrites will begin to get quite high once the ammonia is being processed quickly

Bbarb27 said:
The part of the cycle where you grow the bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate takes (on average) much longer than the initial phase where you grew a supply of bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite. So you might not see a significant level of nitrate for quite awhile, but your nitrites will begin to get quite high once the ammonia is being processed quickly

Alright good to know guys, guess ill just keep doing water changes and testing until my numbers improve, thanks!!!

Question...

While doing my water changes, do you think itd be okay to use "amquel ammonia detoxifier" in between changes to help bring the ammonia levels down???

Your beneficial bacteria are counting on the ammonia as a food source. You don't want to remove it entirely from the tank.

LyndaB said:
Your beneficial bacteria are counting on the ammonia as a food source. You don't want to remove it entirely from the tank.

Okay bc I've done like 3 50% water changes and none of my numbers have moved except for the pH :/ does it normally take this long??

Back
Top Bottom