New reef Project. First thing first, acrylic or glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all, slowly but surely im assembling the materials I need for my new reef project that will hopefully launch in december. The goal is to have a 440 Gallon system all in-line. (1X72" 220G Display + 2X30G cubes + 1X55G sump + 1X 105G fuge) Im going all in wall + fish room for this project with the main system centered on the wall with two species only cubes along each side and the fuge below. I plan to arrange them in a linear fashion. Okay, now that you have the back story. I need a 220Gish tank thats 72" long, and you can't get that sort of thing around here. So I need to order one, and the question is Glass or Acrylic?

Anyone using acrylic for big reef solutions? I don't know how I feel about not being able to whip out the razor blade and go to town on coraline. Are there good products to keeping the front glass "spit shined" or if you slip in your cleaning are you hosed to hours of "wax on, wax off" with some specialty acrylic pad?

Thanks to everyone who contributes, this is officially the first post of many as I start to put this thing together. Im going to take this one VERY slow as its not only a huge step for me in the hobby, its also a major renovation to my home, and plumbing aside its got to be right the first time.

I would go Acrylic. With the thickness of the glass, it might look too green as you look through it. There are clear glasses out there, but the price isn't justifiable.

Acrylic is just the fact of life... it'll get scuffed. But if you're careful, things need not turn into a babysitting affair with the wax :D

Check out www.oregonreef.com for some inspiration.

You could go glass, definitely... but then the weight of it... can you say small army to lift? :lol: Each has their pros and cons. Others will chime in with suggestions.

Starfire glass if you can afford it and have the man power to lift. For me acrylic is just to soft for a reef. If you bump it with rock or other things it's gonna scratch. My vote is for glass. If you gonna spen that much on a setup go for the GOLD!!!! :p

Good luck on the enevor, and remeber.... WE LIKE PICS!!!!

I was thinking I could hire some piano movers to haul the freight box to my basement.. YUP its in the basement, 14 steep stairs in a narrow well. <the plot thickens>

This whole decision was just recently made when the wife and I decided we were definately staying in this house for 10+ years LoL. The next buyer will have to like SW and be prepared to "buy the basement" + the cost of the house

funeral durg playing softly in the background

Here we stand morning the passing of 6 piano movers. Hired by a loving aquariast to move his big #@NQW!@$ tank. Six stairs down the moved before the fatal step. :lol: :lol:

I don't envy those movers!!!! OOOOHHH the back pain!!!

funeral durg playing softly in the background

LoL! After my neighbor and I moved my oceanic 105 down there I vowed to never do it again. That SoB about killed us. My neighbor actually dropped his end on the last step and caught it on his knee. It was swollen like a grape fruit for about 6 days and black all over.
That 105 is staying, it was so hard to get down there i'll use it and the 2X400W halides for the fuge.

Go glass without a doubt.

I have an acryllic 75g and I hate the fact that tiny microscopic pebble can get into my algae scraper and cause havoc. What a pain in the ass.

It took four of us to move a 220g oceanic (you know, the extra thick glass). It took me and one other to move a 150g oceanic.

It'll be fun, and I'd probably suggest some form of "ramp" or "slide" and a pully system for lowering the tank down the stairs. Its too dangerous with too many variables to have four people carrying a 200g down a complete set of stairs... I had to climb up five stairs into the house but that's not the same as going down stairs while carrying something.. 8O

Good luck in your endeavor.

Get glass and have the front piece of glass starphire and the rest of the tank regular glass. That way you will not have the green color tint of regular glass.

Acrylic is nice because there is no green colored tint, it's light weight, and a good insulater, but expensive and prone to scratches if not careful.

Don't use a razor on acrylic but use an old credit card, works just as good. They make mag-floats for acrylic tanks also but that wont help with coraline.

I agree with klam. Since it will be in wall just get the front starphire and the rest reg glass. I cant wait to follow this.......it will be fun. Thanks for including us.

PS. We are going to start building anew home somewhere around November, and I will be putting in a nice size tank as well in wall............ :p

Back
Top Bottom