new reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwell2002

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm going to start a my first reef tank soon andwas wondering if anyone has any recommendations on lighting? I'm goin to start with LPS corals in a 40g breeder, its only 16 inches high. I may ad some SPS corals later depending on how it turns out.

You can do a 6bulb t5ho fixture like the nova extreme pro, which I have and recommend. You can also do a 250w metal halide supplemented with power compact or t5 actinics.

maxwell2002 said:
I'm going to start a my first reef tank soon andwas wondering if anyone has any recommendations on lighting? I'm goin to start with LPS corals in a 40g breeder, its only 16 inches high. I may ad some SPS corals later depending on how it turns out.

I would start off with some soft corals first.

I wouldn't say you need 6 bulbs now, but be ready to get to that point later when you and the tank are ready for SPS. A good 4 bulb fixture would be a good start.

I only suggested it because it saves money in the long run. You can definitely start off with a 4 bulb fixture though.

slitherbomb said:
I only suggested it because it saves money in the long run. You can definitely start off with a 4 bulb fixture though.

Wish I had read this 5 weeks ago. I bought a 2 lamp fixture and I really regret it sure I can add too it but now I want to spend my money on corals not hardware.

Buy for what you someday will want not what you want now. You will thank me later. I promise.

Depending on which fixtures you choose you can break even while spreading the cost out. Two 2-bulb fixtures fit almost as well as one 4-bulb. You can simply add two bulbs at a time or start with four and add 2 later when needed. I am not saying not to buy a 6-bulb fixture, just that you don't have to get all six bulbs from the start.

i say buy the best lighting you can now. i would also go with the 6 lamp nova extreme pro or the sunlight supply "tek" light.
you don't even have to turn on all 6 lamps for now, and it's going to be expensive to buy twice...trying to sell your old fixture can be a pain.

You don't have to replace fixtures. You can simply add to them. You can buy three 2-bulb fixtures and pay about the same as one 6-bulb fixture, depending on which ones you buy. I agree it would be better to get on 6-bulb now, but not the only good option. The 6-bulb fixtures usually have two plugs, three bulbs on each. I don't know how they would run with empty sockets.

I personally wouldn't use that one then. They should be 3 and 3 so you can run 3 actinics on one timer and 3 whites on another, the usual ratio is 1:1. When you are still only using 2-4 bulbs you should be able to control the actinics and whites separately.

I still see no benefit to buying all 6 bulbs now IF cost is an issue for the OP.

I have to admit I do find it silly how the lights are setup on the nova BUT the 2 bulbs are my actinics so it gives me the blue I want for their waking up stage. The four others are white which give them their daylight. I'm getting used to it though and I still reccomend it if the OP has the cash. If cash is a constaint then Iwoudl say go with a cheaper 4 bulb setup with the intention of getting a larger unit down the line. It could be this year or mayeb even next year before the OP needs those extra lights. But cheaper in the end to buy one set than double buy.

I bought a cheapo 4 bulb setup for my first tank cause I knew within a month or two I would be upgrading for sure. So it worked out for me cause I only spent like $100 bucks on an odyssea fixture. :)

That is my whole point, you DON'T have to REPLACE, you can supplement. An investment in a 4-bulb now does not require you to buy a 6-bulb later and have to get rid of the 4-bulb, it requires you to buy a 2-bulb fixture later when you and the tank are ready for the extra bulbs. The total cost is about the same except it is spread out instead of all at once when you just started the tank and just spent a lot of money on all the other stuff, and most likely don't need all 6 bulbs yet.

I have to agree that is an option. :-D

I would then buy a quality 4 bulb setup now and add a quality 2 bulb setup when ready. There are many options just the OP's call which way he wants to go.

Pay now or pay later.The light fixture will be the investment that makes the most difference in the appearance and what you can keep in your reef.IMO the MH with T5 actinic's give the best appearance as far as fish and making your corals pop.
To me another big plus is the fixture will only be 12 inches wide,so you can work in your tank without having to take the whole fixture off your tank as with the 6 bulb or Currant Nova fixtures.
Everyone has their opinions of course.Go to YouTube and check out the different tanks with different fixtures.

anyone have any experience with LED's? Havent heard much good about them unless you wanna pass the 7-800 dollar mark!

I have the marineland LED REEF Lights on my 75Gal. The 48" puts out about 3340Lums or so. I have had real good luck with them. I have some sps corals, and they grew like crazy under them. I've had the lights for about 6-7 months above my sps corals. And all the corals have been doing better under the LED lights then my old 4 bulb HO T5 light. Infact I went and got another LED LIGHT for my tank to add extra light. If i could of raised my light, i would of been fine but couldnt in the space i had to work with. That 18" wide tank. So I went with a 36" marineland reef led light, cause of the overflow. All my corals have been doing great, even my Ritter anemone. She loves the light. Shes now at the mid level of the tank, instead at the top trying to get all the light. That old 4 bulb unit by nova extreme was just not enough light for her. Shes a light hog. Lol She will soon be moved to my friends tank, for she is getting to big. :( but fear not my next anemone will be a RBTA. One of my fav

3300 lumens is about what 3 curly-q energy saver bulbs put out. i would love to see some shots of sps doing well under these fixtures.

I was thinking the same thing, 3000 lumens didnt seem like a high number. I;d like to see pictures too, I was looking at these fixtures myself.

Back
Top Bottom