New saltwater setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bald head hill

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has been setup since the 23rd of February and I have yet to see any diatoms I also used dr Tim's ( one and only ) all parameters are looking good any suggestions why it is taking so long ? Also is it ok to add certain corals such as mushrooms before diatoms appear ? Thanks

What lighting are you running? How big is the tank? What are your water parameters? And livestock load?

March 21st
Ph 7.8-ammonia (0)ppm-nitrite(0)
Nitrate (5.0)-alkalinity 8to9 drops-
Phosphate 0.25 -calcium (21drops 420) -6 bulb t5/ 2chromis 2 clowns 1golby plenty of crabs

Your levels are good. You could try a few basic softies if this is your first go at saltwater. Maybe some zoas or green star polyps. Kenya tree as well. Just be careful if you do get Kenya tree or gsp as it grows like a weed. Also keep your nitrates in check with weekly water changes and keeping your salinity around 1.024-.026. How many gallons is the tank?

75 gal tank with 30 gal sump I've had saltwater tanks before but never corals / any suggestions on diatoms

My new 55g set up took 3 months to have any diatoms and they just showed up in my fuge.

No just my tomini tang an Christmas wrasse. I don't think having corals would have any influence on it. You shouldn't be dosing your tank with anything if your doing soft corals just FYI. Your salt mix should compensate for lost minerals during water changes

It took 2 to 3 Mo. for me to get diatoms in my tank after cycling and i got some corals (softies, kenya tree and green star pollyp, both grow like weeds if happy btw) i did npot add anything to tank other than do water changes.
Just keep testing water and keep parameters good and you shuoold be ok.
Scott
90 gal reef
40gal reef
still to come 270 reef

Back
Top Bottom