New Sea Horses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update on the seahorses: they are doing well eating like champs and the smaller of the two is starting to change it's color to yellow. The larger is also starting to change but the smaller is far more noticeable.

The Goby seems to be doing good with them although twice he has grabbed a horse when taking part in the mysis feeding. I am keeping a close eye on him it appears to be just a mistake and only has happened twice, both times while feeding. The Cleaner Shrimp doesn't bother them either.

I picked up some manatee grass for the tank and planted it a couple days ago. I am trying to give them a little more natural environment to live in.

Tons of fun to watch will update this weekend with some new pics.

It's harder to do a reef with seahorses since most corals sting. Seahorses grab onto anything and everything so the corals could easily harm them. I have only mushrooms and zoas in with my seahorses. I have also read that the brighter lighting will actually darken the seahorses colors and the seahorses will try to hide since they dont like the brightness.

Also they look great! :D I just got a female reidi for my birthday and she is finally starting to trun a bit more yellow, my other seahorse is already very yellow so that should help her out.

My smaller Kuda just finished turning yellow a little bit ago. I placed a bright colored plastic plant in the tank to help facilitate this process and to provide some extra support while the manatee grass roots and starts growing.

Tomorrow I will do a PWC and clean the glass where my snails are being lazy and hopefully get some get pics.

Here are a few pics from my iPhone and link to a quick video tour I did with my phone. The tank is much clearer now but I had a starfish die in my LR and required retrieving, rescaping, and a major PWC. I stirred up a bit in the process. Hopefully I will get some better pics soon with the camera.

YouTube - IMG 0586

Attachments

• IMG_0589.jpg
    IMG_0589.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 129
Lol how adorable. Two questions: Is the flow from the pump on full blast or are you limiting it somehow? Also, I'm not sure if you said already but are you feeding live or frozen mysis?

I have the flow positioned to the upper portion of the tank to provide circulation. The Biocube flow rate is 243 gph which is <10x turnover for the tank. The ideal flow for seahorses is 5-10x but it varies based off of species. Mine are big enough where they aren't being blown into the walls and even if they get right in the flow they are able to correct fairly quickly. Most people recommend turning off the pump for feed and I do sometimes but they really like chasing the mysis around. I am feeding frozen but will be supplementing with live from time to time as well.

Good deal, I know my pump is 137GPH, very odd numbers I must say. Reason I asked that is because for seahorses it seems somewhat strong, I've seen someone on youtube with a seahorse he called "Hurricane" which I can only assume he named it so because it blew around in the current, which is obviously wrong. Glad to see you're doing it the right way, I see too many who don't, and with such a delicate and beautiful creature it's hard to see.

Keep up the good work, those horses deserve a good home!

Sea Dragon said:
Love the videos! Is that spidery thing the cleaner shrimp?

Yeah he is very social! Any time I have to put my hand in the tank he comes out and climbs all over me. Very friendly. Doesnt bother with the horses much which is good it would likely stress them out.

These are simply fantastic!! I love pic number 5 on page one...how fun? Feel like I'm at the Seattle aquarium :)

These guys like to "hold tails" when eating. I will try and get some video next time.

Attachments

• image-681660009.jpg
    image-681660009.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 141
Are you going to breed them?! Or can they in captivity? I'm not really familiar...

Back
Top Bottom