New setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricco34

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently changed my substrate and added more caves and have my tank a more natural look. I have a few mbunas in my 30 gallon tank. How's it look?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399986450.138253.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399986463.521354.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399986472.307565.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399986482.733118.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399986494.417783.jpg

Not all of them are mbunas I meant to write malawi cichlids

If you paint the background black, it'll hide all the equipment and cords. Looks better without the PVC pipes.

I'm looking for a background that matches the color of the rock

Looks good! Agreed with Thunder errr Sonics. Black is the way to go. Also black PVC wouldn't stand out as much. Mbuna love them some PVC tunnels. Shimmy the PVC down into the substrate almost where half of the openings are still accessible. The mbuna will dig out most substrate that goes in the pipe.
Then construct your rocks and DW around it to make it less conspicuous.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400123471.714206.jpg
I've got a few variations of 3way fittings in my tank.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400360507.275062.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400360520.213550.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400360533.239137.jpg how do these look? And could I also is a big piece of construction paper for the back?

Nice rescape! Those mine shafts will be
Used a lot by the fish.
Only one piece of advice from me. If you don't have an under gravel filter with with 6+ inches of substrate, you'll need to do a vacuuming weekly to avoid increased levels of hydrogen sulfide being produced in the deeper low oxygen levels.
Also fill the tank up to just under the hob water return. Don't short yourself there. The construction paper will inevitably get wet in time. Most pet stores sell a laminated black background.

You should stir your sand weekly anyway. Waste and sentiments will settle on the top.

When I do a water change/cleaning I take everything out. Vacuum the viable debri, churn the sand, (usually only one half per week) scrub the glass, wait for debris to settle ( usually 5-10 min) then re vacuum.

You can get an all black background for like .70 cents a foot.

The last time I filled it up too much it started leaking out of the top of the filter and I didn't want it to get on the electricity

What kind of filter are you using? When you filled it up, was The water level was just below the water return?

It's a 30-60 gallon tetra internal power filter and yes

I'm not personally familiar with the tetra line of filters. Did you customize the filter packing with additional media, floss, sponges, what have you? Or did you set it up straight out of the box? Something's amiss as to why it would overflow like you're saying.
If possible look into a canister filter. It will do a better job filtering your tank.

Sorry jumping in with a tangent, but I recently got the API superclear HOB filter. And I love it! Like noticeably more than any other filter I have had.

I still like my Fluval Aquaclear 70 on my bigger tank, but for my 30g the API superclear, with bio-chem zorb, and Purigen has been incredible! You can adjust the down stem to any level, adjustable flow rate, and it has a calendar to remind me to change the cartridge. The down stem also has a surface skimmer.

I replaced my Tetra whisper with the API superclear.

Back
Top Bottom