New sick Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pixeljunkie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, So I've had this 75 gallon tank running for three months, it has finished it's cycle the water perameters are 0 nitrite, <0.5 nitrate, 0 amonia, and 7 ph. I did a water change two days ago and unless I'm told otherwise will do another one tonight. I have in there right now 2 striped rapheal cat fish, a black khuli loach, 8 guppies (Plants) I have two healthy vals, a healthy sword and two of something else I can't remember. The temp is 82 F.

I just added 3 discus to the tank two days ago. Two of them are doing extremely well their color is getting brighter and their fins are repairing. Unfortunately one of them has white spots about ten on his body (had them since the fish store) and about a 6th of his bottom fin has been/is being eaten by what I assume is fin rot. I have been using melafix daily and he doesn't seem to be improving. also I said the other two are doing extremely well, I'm not sure thats true. they look good but don't seem to be eating. I am feeding tetra color granules and flakes, brine shrimp and bloodworms (frozen). Am looking to make my own after the holiday. I am going home and my boyfriend who doesn't know much about fish is taking care of them... help! I can't quarentine.. :(

*All three seem sluggish.. I have also turned the air pump on to add oxygen to the water.. not sure if that will help but thought it might.

Attachments

• IMG_20141223_154937.jpg
    IMG_20141223_154937.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20141223_155244.jpg
    IMG_20141223_155244.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20141223_155013.jpg
    IMG_20141223_155013.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20141223_165602.jpg
    IMG_20141223_165602.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 66
Wait so you bought a sick fish? I would raise the temperature to at least 86 fahrenheit. Not sure if those are suitable tank mates, as you don't want the discus to be stressed out while going into a new tank but thats another topic. Id stick with the bloodworms(or better yet pick up black worms) until you can get your hand on better food. New life spectrum is the recomended food for discus by most. Do you know the ph of the fish stores water? With the high temp keeping the air pump on is a good idea for general every day use. Private message me if youd like

It's 7, the same as mine. The catfish are shy and totally stick to themselves. I've spent a lot of time watching them. I will raise the temp. I'd like to avoid medication if possible. Would salt help?

Helps with gill function i believe, the salt. Temp raise will deffinetly be good. And actually one of our discus in the other 55 may have fin rot, so im in the same boat i guess ?

Im going to put the two discus that seem off (theyre new)< 1 week. In a qt, and keep the water conditions perfect and see what i can do

I guess I can give him a salt bath if I take him out of the tank. I just wish I could be around to keep an eye on him. I know it was silly to buy a sick fish but he is really pretty and I think he can be saved.. Hopefully I was right. Good luck with your two, I find if it's just fin rot it's pretty easy to manage. I'm not to sure what mine is but since no one else has it and one of the other discus came from the same tank I'm pretty sure it's not ick. That's a plus I guess

Also I just found out the pet stores ph is closer to 8. Mine is 7 because I had peat in the filter and possibly also the driftwood could be a factor.. I don't know if that's to drastic of a difference or not.. I don't feel like there is anything I could do about it now though.. It's been three days already

Helps with gill function i believe, the salt. Temp raise will deffinetly be good. And actually one of our discus in the other 55 may have fin rot, so im in the same boat i guess ?

No salt with kuhli loaches !!! Small scaled and very sensitive to salt.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I already know that if I want to use salt I have to take him out and do a salt bath. I just really want to know what it is. I took the photos to the fish store where I got him and told the guy there what was up. All he said was the water quality is bad which is not true I used the master api test kit and that raising the temperature would help. He just said it was mucus but it looks like a lot more than that. Also I was using prime as a declorinator and was wondering if I should switch back to the normal one. (Is it normal for prime to smell like rotten eggs)?

So here's what I can see from the pics and your description pixie. The Discus are stressed. Most likely from lack of QT and being stressed. A couple of things to help you. First is to not do any med treatment and stick with WC's. Clean fresh water is your best bet. I would advise daily WC's of at least 50% or more and preferably 2-3 each day. From my experience it's possible for Prime to
have a rotten egg/sulfur odor.

Now for the Discus. What size are they ? The pics are difficult to tell size. You have a big enough tank that I would push for at least 2-4 more. They do best in groups of 5 or more for a couple reasons. Upon initial introduction, they will quite often huddle together. It's a stress thing from being put in a new tank and lack of larger numbers. Depending on their size will dictate the volume and frequency of WC's and what size tank they should be in for now. (That'll help save you some money overall.)

I'm not bashing you but I would recommend some more in depth research on them and if you don't feel your bf can handle them properly, to stay with them or bring them back before you leave. They're not difficult fish, just very demanding.

QT is very important with any fish, especially Discus. I'm not bashing you jess but it's something we've discussed in another thread of yours. Another member asked also but you were very certain your supplier was great. What you're dealing with now is the result of...... It is what it is now.

I am planning to add three more in total. the fish are about 2.5 -3 inches long. I was planning on doing water changes twice a week I thought over doing it could be bad as well? I thought it could add stress changing the water that much

fed them brine shrimp tonight and they all seemed to have healthy appetites so that's good I think.. They wouldn't est much before today

I am planning to add three more in total. the fish are about 2.5 -3 inches long. I was planning on doing water changes twice a week I thought over doing it could be bad as well? I thought it could add stress changing the water that much

Again, I'm not trying to be rude or make it seem like I'm bashing you but you're actions and thoughts show you've done very little (if any) research on these fish. Just because your water parameters are "in check" really doesn't mean anything. Your pictures show signs of stress from poor water conditions. It's very evident especially on the dark one with white rings on the slime coat. What you might think and know about fish goes right out the window when it comes to Discus. Changing water will not stress them at all and actually lack of WC's will be the stressor instead. They really need to be in groups of 5 or more and Discus this size should really be in a smaller tank receiving multiple daily feedings and WC's in order for them to grow out properly to a 6-7" fish. The wild form are riverine fish that have constant fresh water, and those appear to be tank bred which still require the same properties of their not so distant counterparts.

fed them brine shrimp tonight and they all seemed to have healthy appetites so that's good I think.. They wouldn't est much before today

While eating is a good sign, it's sometimes typical that sick Discus will still eat. It's also typical that they won't eat upon introduction to a new tank. It could be a result of stresses during shipping, improper acclimation, lack of a large group that they require, and so on. Each scenario is not always the same every time.

Discus under 4 inches shouldn't even be kept is tanks with anything but them.and water. And the most pristine water at that. They require super diets and require daily big water changes.

If you want to seriously.keep these fish for the long run you need to do a ton of research and change the way you keep these fish.

I hope your able to raise healthy discus.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 to all aforementioned Advice, these are the big leagues here. Just because you can afford them does not mean you can keep them. good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was unaware that I would need more right away with such a big tank, The fish store told me to add them within three months before they mature.. Sorry if I seem defensive. I appreciate you helping me out. I will do a 50% water change today and 25% daily after this (do I do daily changes now until maturity? or until they have improved then every two days?. Also, as soon as I have some extra cash I'll start adding more. I did research the fish before I got it. The problem there is everything is different and then the fish store really throws me for a loop. His spots are looking lighter today (They are still all there but the definite white spots within them are gone. Just thin outlines remain.) And all have more energy.

now I will do 50% daily. I get that this is different guys. And I never ready anything about having them alone so please. I'm here for the advice and I am willing to listen.. I'm not trying to be stubborn I'm trying to raise healthy fish. I have a 30 gallon that I really don't think would be good for them. It has guppies in it at the moment and I'm not sure the water quality will be good enough. Is it even an option to keep them in the tank that I have them in now? Please continue to help. All truthful/accurate input is appreciated. Thanks

I was unaware that I would need more right away with such a big tank, The fish store told me to add them within three months before they mature.. Sorry if I seem defensive. I appreciate you helping me out. I will do a 50% water change today and 25% daily after this (do I do daily changes now until maturity? or until they have improved then every two days?. Also, as soon as I have some extra cash I'll start adding more. I did research the fish before I got it. The problem there is everything is different and then the fish store really throws me for a loop. His spots are looking lighter today (They are still all there but the definite white spots within them are gone. Just thin outlines remain.) And all have more energy.

Lots of things to cover here in the short amount of time before I do all my Christmas shopping in 4 hours.

Quite understandable with how many differing opinions are out there. And then the LFS gets there .02 in. You don't seem defensive to me so no worries there. Daily WC's are a necessity till they mature. Without them it will take forever to grow them out nicely. At least 50% and preferably more like 75%. Good to hear the spots are clearing and they're more active. How's the color on the dark one coming along? That one would be my biggest concern.

now I will do 50% daily. I get that this is different guys. And I never ready anything about having them alone so please. I'm here for the advice and I am willing to listen.. I'm not trying to be stubborn I'm trying to raise healthy fish. I have a 30 gallon that I really don't think would be good for them. It has guppies in it at the moment and I'm not sure the water quality will be good enough. Is it even an option to keep them in the tank that I have them in now? Please continue to help. All truthful/accurate input is appreciated. Thanks

Honestly the 30g would be best for them right now for a few reasons.
1. Less water to change.
2. Not as costly in terms of water bill and water conditioner.
3. Quicker growout times and better results.
4. Easier to see progress and pitfalls.
5. BB is best for monitoring poop.

If you can swap the guppies into the bigger tank, and put the Discus in the smaller one, that would probably be the best thing you can do for them. As long as all the occupants of the 30g will get along with the ones in the 75g. Along with adding more (I understand the $$$ situation presently) they WILL do better in bigger numbers. With the larger numbers together, it will create a better hierarchy the group needs. The general rule of thumb is 1 adult (5.5" or larger) per 10g of water. That's why I stated before that you could easily have 7 in the 75g once they've grown out and matured. Keep up the progress and if you have more questions, please start here and not the LFS. We've got your back, they've got your money. ??

This is what he looks like today

Attachments

• IMG_20141224_104956.jpg
    IMG_20141224_104956.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20141224_105010.jpg
    IMG_20141224_105010.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom