New step into 29 bc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shrimpandram

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know this might post is a newbi question but it confuses me really well.

1. I added live sand,live rock and ocean water from the lfs and is this an instant cycle?
2. I tested my water 3 days after the setup and it came out to be 0 nitrate and nitrite. What do I do?
3. Can I buy instant biological cycle in lfs and start adding livestocks?
4. straight forward tip for cycling the tank would be helpful.

Thanks for your time. :)
IMG_1604.jpg

I know this might post is a newbi question but it confuses me really well.

1. I added live sand,live rock and ocean water from the lfs and is this an instant cycle?
2. I tested my water 3 days after the setup and it came out to be 0 nitrate and nitrite. What do I do?
3. Can I buy instant biological cycle in lfs and start adding livestocks?
4. straight forward tip for cycling the tank would be helpful.

Thanks for your time. :)
View attachment 295699

1. No you'll not instant cycle your tank.
2. You need to add an ammonia source to start the cycle.
3. No, those products don't instantly cycle your tank.
4. Get a raw cocktail shrimp put it in a mesh filter bag and let it decompose to be your ammonia source. Once your ammonia and nitrite have spiked and dropped back to 0 and you have high nitrates do a few wcs to lower the nitrate level.

Exactly what red said. This is especially true since days have past since there has been any type of ammonia source to feed the beneficial bacteria in the system. They are most likely long gone.

1. No you'll not instant cycle your tank.
2. You need to add an ammonia source to start the cycle.
3. No, those products don't instantly cycle your tank.
4. Get a raw cocktail shrimp put it in a mesh filter bag and let it decompose to be your ammonia source. Once your ammonia and nitrite have spiked and dropped back to 0 and you have high nitrates do a few wcs to lower the nitrate level.

How long does it usually take for shrimp to decompose and how long will it take to finish the cycle.

Exactly what red said. This is especially true since days have past since there has been any type of ammonia source to feed the beneficial bacteria in the system. They are most likely long gone.

So that means I have to start everything over?

Most likely. The shrimp decomposing is the process that is building up the bacteria base in your rock and sand. I'd suggest putting it in some panty hose so it doesn't make a mess and is easy clean up once your ammonia and nitrite levels even out.

Most likely. The shrimp decomposing is the process that is building up the bacteria base in your rock and sand. I'd suggest putting it in some panty hose so it doesn't make a mess and is easy clean up once your ammonia and nitrite levels even out.

How long does it usually take for ammonia an nitrite to even out? I was thinking of adding a shrimp this Friday or Saturday.

die off from live rock will not fuel the cycle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Die off from live rock is usually by far not enough to get the ammonia levels necessary to get this process started, let alone a well established cycle that could support the nitrate cycle to keep a single fish alive.

Die off from live rock is usually by far not enough to get the ammonia levels necessary to get this process started, let alone a well established cycle that could support the nitrate cycle to keep a single fish alive.

Do you think I can start cycling the tank with few snails and crabs?

Id get two green chromis and then a clean up crew next week

Back
Top Bottom