New substrance for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How big is your tank and what are your goals? Like low tech or high tech? CO2?

Nice screen name by the way!

I have co2 and food for the plants I want some thing that provides nutrients and holds down the plant. Then nothing that can rise nitrate or ammonia because I have discus in their. It's a 40gallon tank.

I like Eco Complete but most commercial plant substrates still need to have root tabs used for Swords, Crypts, and bulb plants. The difference is commercial plant substrates have a high CEC which means they can absorb nutrients from detris and the water and hold them for plant use. I don't suggest doing a dirted tank if this is your first planted tank.

I herd that eco complete rises ph and wares out over time what about Fluorite substrace?

I've used Eco for years and have it in all my tanks. One tank is over 5 years with Eco and is fine. It has a high CEC so as I already explained it continues to absorb and hold nutrients. It also doesn't raise ph. Any commercial plant substrate will work fine.

Ok and I also herd that eco complete rises nitrate and ammonia when you first put it in. Is that true?

No need to wash EC. But if you get Floramax, which is like EC but without the liquid in the bag, then yes you do.

I'd get Eco Complete "fine grade" version if I were to get one again. They didn't have fine grade before... I find that it looks better and would probably be a lot easier to plant in. Not to mention, no pre-rinsing needed.

Back
Top Bottom