New substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ac30fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I want to replace the gravel substrate in my tank with Eco Complete to facilitate healthy plant growth.

Should I put the Eco on top of gravel to help with aquascaping or is this a bad idea?

How do the experts get those wonderfully contoured shapes in their substrate? I've read where some people do build up layers of substrate (peat, etc) but that's prob way more varsity level than what I'm going for. Thought maybe retaining the gravel would give me more substrate to play with, and I wouldn't be disposing of any bb in the gravel.

Cheers!

It's not that hard, Just pile up the substrate and make the design you want. Nothing hard about it. :)

If you keep the gravel under the Eco, the plants will have something to hold on to when there roots get long enough. Sometimes, you can get a rock, move the substrate away from he spot you are going to put it, put the rock in the hole, and cover the rock with the substrate again so that there is a mound.

I wouldn't worry about the BB in the gravel, as long as you have a fully cycled filter then there's plenty if BB to remove the gravel completely if you wanted. I've changed my substrate a few times and never had an issue at all with it. Gravel depending on the size can actually impede root growth, IMO if you're searching for a more healthy plant substrate just remove all the gravel and go all Eco. If you want a hill, just make it deeper.

Yeah, my gravel is on the larger size. Can't decide whether to keep it. I guess the thing I like most about it is its lighter colour. The Eco is very dark.

Maybe that's part of why I'd like to somehow incorporate my existing gravel + Eco

I'd remove the gravel all together too. I'm not a fan of the two tone cake layer look, especially when the colors contrast too much. Eco comes in black or red. If those colors don't work... There's always ADA Aqua Soil Africana.

What about having the soil at the back and the gravel at the front?

Once the plants grow in you will probably hardly notice it. Could be a nice contrast too.

What about having the soil at the back and the gravel at the front?

Once the plants grow in you will probably hardly notice it. Could be a nice contrast too.

Sometimes people separate sections of there tank and put different substrates in each section. You could do that with Eco and gravel.

Yeah I'm one to occasionally separate substrates like that. But it's usually EC and sand to create a river or beach.

Thanks for all the great responses.

At some point, I just need to jump in and make some changes. I'm sure I will make mistakes, but each will be an opportunity to learn and grow my planted tank in beauty and complexity (disguised as simplicity)

Yeah I'm one to occasionally separate substrates like that. But it's usually EC and sand to create a river or beach.

Id imagine Its best to do that when setting up a new tank? Wouldn't the addition of sand to a tank that already contains water kick up a mess, and how would you contain sand to only the areas where you want it?

I have my own concerns about adding substrate to my cycled tank. I don't want to throw any params out of whack, or stress the fish out.

Is it advisable to undergo major changes in substrate on a tank that's otherwise cycled & healthy?

Well as Zimmanski mentioned earlier, most of the BB needed to keep things stable is in the filter. The BB in the substrate will repopulate in no time. It is much easier to start the substrate from scratch when scaping, but I've done it before after the fact. I basically filled a large bucket with siphoned out clean tank water, threw in an ornament like DW in there, put in an airstone, and all my fish. I then gutted my tank and removed like 90 to 95% of the black gravel i had and replaced it with all Eco Complete. I re-scaped, planted, and let the tank run and clear up for 24 hours. I replaced the DW and fish, and everything was kosher...no fish losses..no real ammonia spikes or anything. If anything, you might have a mini-cycle.. Just do a PWC or two and things will re-balance in no time.

Sand is tough to keep clear of the surrounding dark substrate. Its tedious to remove and definitely adds to the work needed to keep things tidy.

Here are a couple of my tanks with sand and dark planted substrates:

ForumRunner_20130601_140916.jpg

ForumRunner_20130601_141010.jpg

... I basically filled a large bucket with siphoned out clean tank water, threw in an ornament like DW in there, put in an airstone, and all my fish...

Sorry, "DW" ??

Tanks look great, btw! Thanks for posting. Love the idea of the beach

Back
Top Bottom