new sump setup help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok i believe that what i will do get the eshobbs 300 with a bigger pump. now my other question, i found this sump set up on the following link which is the second picture shown. looks relatively simple to build not sure what size sump i will be using yet but my question is in the second picture he says the out put of the protein skimmer is in the first section where the overflow comes in but where does the plumping lead. i see it has plumbing towards the back but whats the reason for this? thanks for all the help.
Melevsreef.com - DIY Glass Sump & Refugium

I wanted to octopus 110 but I dont think I have the clearance for that..i only have like 19 inches max is there a good skimmer small enough to fit?

I wanted a octopus protein skimmer 110 but I dont think it will clear my space.. I only have about 19 inches clearance..any skimmer smaller than that that is good?

I like the eshopps skimmers their very well priced and work pretty good. I have 55 gallon and i use the eshopps psk-100 that i hang off of my sump due to clearance height.

Are the in sump and hang on just as efficient or is there a more efficient one from the two setups..but I think thats what I am have to do then if I cant find a in sump one that clears my stand

I'm not sure about efficiency I got a hang behind due to pure need. But i don't see why they wouldn't be it's the same idea. I'm sure the manufacture compliments in any way needed for the fact that it's hang behind.

Is there a fail safe method to ensure no spills or overflow occurs in either tank or sump in case my drain gets clogged or my pump stops? Also will I need a regulator on my return pump since it will be pushing more gph then my overflow box? Sorry got lot questions fairly new to sumps

Check valves, just to make sure a reverse siphon won't happen if power goes out. As far as a regulator you got me on that one i am really not sure...

You can regulate the output of your pump with a T and a valve and shoot the excess water back into your sump. Do not choke down the inlet side of the pump as this will cause your pump to fail.

Oh thanks yea That makes sense..another question is whats the difference between the continues overflow and the regular syphon kind?

What do you mean? An overflow box works a little different than a built-in overflow or an overflow that you drill, but they will all do they same thing (let water pumped up from the sump drain back to the sump).

More then likely one has an anti-air lock so that you will alway have a siphon and the othr might get air locked and need the air purged out of it. in other words one would keep its siphon and the other would not.

Yeah, that is the only big difference you will find is that some have a little air valve that hooks up to an aqualufter pump that keeps the siphon no matter what. I like the Eshopps and you could make it continuous by adding the valve and pump. I can't remember for sure but I think I heard the CPR ones can be noisy.

oh i see...so in other words i can just have to add a valve to the u tube? or what do you mean that

i have been told to drill my tank instead of using over flow box..can anyone tell me about drilling or does anyone have a link i can read about drilling..is there any advantages by drilling instead?

I wouldn't drill unless you have experience and it is a brand new tank. Older tanks crack a lot easier, and even new tanks can crack pretty easily (especially if you are not used to drilling glass). I did it at the shop I was running and the thicker the glass the better. Thin glass cracked a lot easier.

I have an overflow box and had drilled tanks at the store. If I did it again I would probably still go with an overflow box. I think it looks great, is easier, is arguably safer (a bulkhead could leak and drain the tank down to that level).

When I am building my sump should I only leave a small chamber or portion for my return pump.. Should it be only enough so that it wouldn't over flow my display tank?

The overflow should allow enough flow to nto have to worry about the display flooding. The less water that the pump section will hold the more likely the pump is to start pulling air.

Back
Top Bottom