New T5s...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Interloper

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I picked up http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23753 yesterday...I upgraded from a crummy single t8...

But the new light came with "Freshwater includes Pink Roseate 650nm Lamp and 6,000°K Lamp." and to be honest just from the looks the crappy light looked better, I know the t5 is better for my eventual plants but is it because the bulbs that are in the light? My tank looks like yellow heh, I know I'm being picky but yeah...

With the lights that the setup came with...are they ideal for plant growth? Or can I get something different in there to get rid of the yellow and possibly be better for plants?

Any info is much appreciated...

Interloper said:
So I picked up http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23753 yesterday...I upgraded from a crummy single t8...

But the new light came with "Freshwater includes Pink Roseate 650nm Lamp and 6,000°K Lamp." and to be honest just from the looks the crappy light looked better, I know the t5 is better for my eventual plants but is it because the bulbs that are in the light? My tank looks like yellow heh, I know I'm being picky but yeah...

With the lights that the setup came with...are they ideal for plant growth? Or can I get something different in there to get rid of the yellow and possibly be better for plants?

Any info is much appreciated...

The 6,000K sounds ok, but you can swap the other for a 6,500K or even a 10,000K if you want a bright blue white light.

For plants I prefer 6,500K but other spectrum will work. And you should be picky, you are the one who should enjoy looking at your tank.

Where does the yellow come from? The pink light or the 65?...sounds dumb I suppose heh...

If I got rid of the pink (aren't they meant for plants) and got a 10k in there, will it make that much of a difference?

This is the exact fixture I want! Besides the bulbs, how's everything else? Do you have any pics of it setup? When I buy it I'll probably switch out the pink one for another 65 or a 10k. From what I've heard people do very well with two 65 or 67 bulbs with plants.

Yeah heh I wanted to do a before and after just for my self but hey :p I'll share heh...Hopefully I'm doin this right...using the iPhone app heh

Original single T8
image-2702208256.jpg

New dual T5...with a background, may go with lighter but wanna see it with plants...
image-816154284.jpg

Now added plants today, debating if I wanna keep them where they are or not, but I'll let the fishies rest for now heh...
image-451419094.jpg

Personally, I like the new light. The original looks to fake. Ur new one looks more amazon looking. JMO

That's a good point that I have never even thought about...it does look way more natural lol

will one bulb still turn on if the other is not in it? easy way to find out which bulb creates the yellow color. personally i would switch out the pink bulb with another 6500k or 10,000k. i like the way they look together.

Naw it's just on or off the 4 light fixture does the different switches from what I have read tho...now that I look at it tho the natural thing is quite apparent heh and I kinda like it...I do like the super white look as well tho...

I guess the thing is what's better for the plants? Lol

I like the new one, definitely more natural looking. I think the 10k bulb will give you the whiter look you want though if you are going to switch them. I said take out the pink one if you decide to do that. Very nice though, in going to order mine next week I think!

You can always try switching out the 6000k for the 10000k and see how that looks. Sometimes 6000k bulbs look yellow. A 10000k will certainly add a blue look no matter which bulb you switch it out for. Try changing out one and then the other. The pink bulb is great for plants and can make fish with red or orange colors look good. the great think about having 3 different bulbs for a 2 bulb fixture is that you'll have 3 combinations to test out and find your ideal look for the fish, plants or the tank in general.
Pink/6k
Pink/10k
10k/6k

Back
Top Bottom